Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6 saveas problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chop

chop

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:48 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new so hopefully i can explain this OK. I just got a new computer (running XP Pro) and when I go to use saveas in IE6 for a mpg file, it renames the extension mpeg. Not too big of an issue other than if I'm saving to a directory, the other files named *.mpg fail to show up unless I select "all files".
The other thing is that it just seems freakin weird that XP/IE would be renaming the extension.

Didn't know if there was some registry, etc that might set this.

Thanks for any help.

chop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:00 PM

good question, chop. Hmmm, i hope I'm not wrong here, but i thought .mpeg is basically the same as .mp3. What I mean is they both are compressed files used for music. IE & it's close neighbor the WMP version 8-9-or 10 kinda work together in winXPpro...I use it, too. The same dilemma exists when relying on MSPaint & My Pictures when it comes to the default .bmt and the chosen by me preference for .jpeg (or .jpg to others). I see only a few mistakenly done .bmp's comin' into My Pictures until I use the dropdown menu and convert to .jpeg and as soon as I do that (by habit, now) all the files I wantto see are shown. I've been wantin' to know how to set default to: .jpeg myself. Anyway, the .bmp extention is known as a Bitmap and the .jpg extention is known as a JPEG image. Sorta confusing and made mlore so by the way winXP shows you/does it "for you".

Back to your question. I found that I liked a standard .mp3 (an MPEG file?) for all my music. So, I had to get "audio conversion" software. Windows Media Player does just fine with playing .mp3. It will make it's downloads/uploads .wma files, though. Then, for instance, unless you set preferences, iTunes will give 'em to you as AAC, which basically is .mp4. A standard CD comes as .wav, and takes up a lot more room on your disk. Standardization seemed to me to be the answer, having experimented with several apps (winamp is good, etc.)

This site offers free software that will allow you to convert them all the way you want, so your folders will not exclude some songs while showing you others.

The key is batch conversions, and some duplication of files may be optionally done if you like. Download the appropriate two additional audio codecs which are small sorta plug-ins. You might find the Media Player they offer to be somewhat crisper and possibly utilizing your on-board audio hardware slightly better than either WMP or iTunes. The editing of file tags is kinda why I use iTunes, partly because it's so darned funky doin' it in WMP & it requires an add-on that dbpoweramp wants a little bit o' money for (thePowerPack option). So, thats my work-around.
  • I like WMP 10 for ease & it's cool visualizations
  • I like iTunes w/o the Store to organize many GB's of .mp3 files with full editing and a big spreadsheet styles display of files/tunes. Also it's the easiest to make "playlist" CD's using your CD-RW with it's built in burn software.
  • I need the dbpoweramp Music converter to allow them to play together.
  • Some stuff sounds better with dbpoweramp Player given the common .mp3 format
  • It's all good. I love the music & wouldn't have a PC without it available to me.
Other ways exist no doubt, and I'm always interested in hearin' about 'em.
:thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 chop

chop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:26 AM

thanks for your response phawgg.

MPEG is different then MP3. MPEG is the fromat for audio and video. MPEG and MPG are the same just like JPG and JPEG are the same. I think the naming conventions were established when file extension could only be 3 characters.

My issue is that the file on the site will be DEMO.MPG and when I do a saveas it gets renamed DEMO.MPEG. The file works the same it just is bizarre that my computer is renaming the file. The other files in the directory with MPG extensions don't show up in the save as screen.

It seems their must be a registry of something that sets up the saveas function. Like you said, for photos sometimes you have a bmp being saved as a jpg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users