Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while playing games on my laptop, please help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 warrio5

warrio5

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

Hi, I'll go straight to my problem. I've been getting BSOD while playing games or any heavy software that require resources from my main GPU lately. I've been trying all short of methods that suggest on various forums like re-installing gpu drivers, the older drivers too(i used the lasted driver when the problem occurred), re-installed windows, checked for dust(my gpu doesn't use a fan cooler but a heat dispenser, if i say it correctly, so dust isn't the cause), update drivers for other hardware, etc. However, nothing worked so far, the problem keep persisting. It has drove me nut for the last week because I just bought this laptop for more than 6 months ago, and the warranty for it only last around that long :S. I'll upload the minidump file so that people can help me check what's wrong with it. Btw, my specs are: i7 3720QM, 8GB DDR3, GTX675M+Intel HD Graphics 4000(all made by MSI, btw), 750GB Toshiba, 120GB Intel 330SSD. The more the problem persist, the more out of control my laptop becomes, it seem. Please help :(.
Also, i've been checking Nvidia forum lately, and seem like there're a lot of people complain about the lastest 320.xx(which i used when those problems started) that caused all short of problems like BSOD, freezes, glitches in game, etc, but i'm not 100% sure if that was the cause.(Sorry for my bad English)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Hi

A preliminary analysis shows you are getting a VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) error stop code. Below are the common resons for these crash.

- Faulty display driver ( i guess you already tried updating the driver )

- Outdated Direct X ( if you didn't tried updating direct X, try that)

- Overclocking.

If you are overclocking either your CPU or graphics card, stop it immediately. Also uninstall any overclocking related software like MSI afterburner, Riva tuner etc.

- Faulty graphics card.

Replacing the card with another known good one is required to check whether the card is faulty.

In some laptops with hybrid graphics, there will be an option to disable either one of the card. Check in your BIOS and verify if there is an option to disable the Intel graphics permanently. It might help solving the issue.

It will be helpful if you follow the below instructions to collect some additional data.

1 ) Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

2 ) Download and run Minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply

#3 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hi, and thx for the reply, Anshad. I've tried to update my directx but it appeared that I already got the latest version in my laptop, and about the over clocking, I've never tried to over clock my cpu nor gpu(I did have a program call VGA MSI overclock tool that came with my drivers, thought I never did figure how it works). Replacing my gpu with another 1 is out of my knowledge because this is a laptop and I have not know any method to do that, also, I've tried to disable the Intel gpu in bios before, but I was surprised at the very limited amount of things i can change in the bios :S. Here's the link for the Speccy's snapshot of my laptop and I'll upload the result of the Minitoolbox below. Still, thx for the quick reply, much appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by warrio5, 15 June 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hi

Before doing any other steps, we should address a couple of software issues with your system.

1 ) Uninstall Daemon tools.

The sptd.sys driver came with it is known to cause crashes. It is necessary to remove known problematic drivers when troubleshooting blue screens. Don't worry about loosing virtual CD functionality. There are other free alternatives available.

Open Control Panel-->Programs and features. Uninstall daemon tools lite and restart. To make sure sptd is uninstalled, please download and run the official uninstaller tool from the below link.

http://www.duplexsecure.com/download/SPTDinst-v183-x64.exe

Run the tool and click the Uninstall button. If the button is grayed out, SPTD is already uninstalled successfully.

For virtual CD functionality, you can use this freeware alternative - http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/

2 )Update your Windows to SP1.

Service pack one is a fairly large download but it is mandatory for performance , reliability and security. Get SP1 from the below link.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

After installing SP1, use automatic updates to install the latest hotfixes.

3 ) Your display driver is outdated.

You are using version 296.75 of the Nvidia driver which is fairly old. Uninstall it and install the latest version. While uninstalling, remove the components in the following order.

NVIDIA Update Components

NVIDIA Update 1.7.13

NVIDIA Optimus 1.7.13

NVIDIA Install Application

NVIDIA Control Panel 296.75

NVIDIA Graphics Driver 296.75   -   It should be the last one to uninstall.

While installing, choose custom install and select only Nvidia display driver and Physx.

Move the crash dumps to another folder and clean the Minidump directory. If you got another blue screen, upload the new dump which reflects the software changes. Also post the exact model number of the laptop.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 June 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#5 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi again, and thx for the reply. I already uninstalled the Deamontool lite, but just some more info, I didn't installed sptd.sys before or after the problems occurred. I'm also updating to SP1, but about the Nvidia driver(version 320.xx), I'm not sure to install it or not because as I've mentioned above, there're a lot of people reporting problems after switching to those 320.xx drivers(if I'm not wrong, then my problems started to appeared when i switched my gpu driver to 320 beta), u can find the forum thread on this link. But, I can install it to get the data if it's necessary to determine the cause of these problems.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hi

Since your system already shows blue screens, there is nothing wrong with testing the new version. New version is not beta and it might solve your issue. Also monitor the CPU and graphics card temperature using Speedfan. Check if there is any abnormal increase in the temperature.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#7 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Some updates, I installed the speed fan and it doesn't show any abnormal temperature in my cpu at all. Also, strangely enough, after I put my battery in to test, the bsod problem doesn't seem to appear anymore, but the laptop just froze continuously, and I had to do a hard reset after it froze. I really don't know what I should do now :S .

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi

Did you updated the graphics driver ? . If not update the driver from the official Nvidia site. Also go to the support page of your model in MSI site and check for the following.

- System BIOS update

- Graphic card BIOS update

#9 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

Well, the thing is my Laptop isn't exactly from MSI, it's from a Japanese company that sells custom build laptops, so I'm not really sure which model is this, and in their support site, I can only found the drivers and bios that I currently have. I'll try and update my gpu driver now.

#10 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

Ok, I've updated my gpu driver to the latest version(320.18), but as soon as I started a game to test it, the BSOD happened again. I tried to upload the minidump file but I can't use winrar or winzip to pack it, any idea what I should do?

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Hi

You may need to disable the User Account Control to copy the dump files. It is better to use 7zip to compress the dump files.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/

Are you getting blue screens with every single game or is it happens with only a particular game ? 

#12 warrio5

warrio5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hi again, and thx for the tip. And yes, seem like I got bsod in every games that I've played for the past few days with the bug check code 0x00116. Also, I just found out about the performance report and did a check on the system, when check the report, it said that my processor doesn't have a driver. But after I checked every where I could, there're nothing showing that I don't have a driver for it, however, I'll upload that report file along with the new minidump below.

Attached Files

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

Hi

You are still getting the bugcheck 116 . Since both old and new drivers shows the same error codes, more likely it will be hardware fault of the graphic card. If by any chance, can you obtain a system BIOS update and VGA BIOS update from the manufacturer ? . That is the only step we can do from the software side. 

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000116

To eliminate any possibility of a software fault, you can re-install Windows from scratch. But all indicates a failing graphic card in your case.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 June 2013 - 05:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users