Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycle Bin Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wiredd

wiredd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

I posted this issue several days ago on the "Am I Infected" board and we cleaned up my computer and was told to now come here and post it here....

Anyway, to get to the issue.... I notice my Recycle Bin would no longer work correctly and if I clicked it or if I deleted something I would get the following message:

"The Recycle bin on C is corrupted/ Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?"

I looked into it online and followed some instructions like starting in safe mode and trying to delete it which I can't (as the option is grayed out) so the system will build a new one. I also tried to used Command prompt to delete it but that did not work....I have no idea how to fix it?

I also get the same message randomly as I use my computer and sometimes if I go to a webpage it pops up as well several times. I can delete files from it but it does not ask for confirmation like it would before all this happened. 

I also tried renaming it and that did not do anything and I could still not delete the Recycle bin so the system would build a new one.

I would appreciate it if someone can help as I have no ideas left anymore.

I have attached tow screenshots into one image below:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hello,

I am guessing you tried the steps here: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/131294-recycle-bin-corrupted-cannot-delete-file-folder.html

If so, did it give you any errors when trying to perform the steps for the command prompt method? Did you open it in an elevated state (Right clicking and clicking "Run as Administrator)?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 wiredd

wiredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi, yeah I did try this when I first found this problem. I tried running through the steps of method 1 again anyway and this is the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\windows\system32>cd..

C:\Windows>cd..

C:\>rd /s /q c:\$recycle.bin
c:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~2\$R3ND3P4\Backup - The directory is not empty.
c:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~2\$R3ND3P4\Drivers - The directory is not empty.
c:\$recycle.bin\S-1-5-~2\$R3ND3P4\en-us - The directory is not empty.

C:\>rd /s q e:\recycle.bin
q, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
The system cannot find the file specified.
e:\recycle.bin, Are you sure (Y/N)?

As you can see it says the C recycle bin is not empty even though it looks to be. I also tried to run it on my other partition "E" but it does not seem to find it and that might be because it is named $Recycle.bin (with the $ in front)? In the E recycle bin it has 3 folders or files, one is another Recycle Bin with a lock icon and the other 2 folders are:

S-1-5-21-1103924864-4065213793-4090749828-501

S-1-5-21-1103924864-4065213793-4090749828-1001

if I try to click these folders it says access is denied and if I try to click the recycle bin icon in the E recycle bin the pop up opens up:

""The Recycle bin on C is corrupted/ Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?"

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hello,

Sorry took so long to get back to you, try again with the one in E but use $ in the name and see if that works. Other than that, I am honestly a bit out of ideas, really haven't had to deal with a recycle bin issue in a long while. Maybe some of the other members will have some better guidance for you. 

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

If you have Winrar or 7Zip, or another zip utility run it as administrator, and then navigate to the c:\$recycle.bin. From there you can delete the folders. After it gets done, then try to delete the recycle.bin folder again. Also make sure that when you run Command Prompt that you run it in an elevated state by right clicking it and choose run as administrator.

You may need to take ownership of the folder as well. Also make sure that UAC is turned off when doing all of this.

Edited by chrisd87, 18 June 2013 - 12:04 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 wiredd

wiredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

OK, I was able to delete the E recycle bin by putting $ in front but the pop up still came up when I clicked the C recycle bin so I'm sure it is the C one.

So I then open WinRAR in admin mode and was able to find the hidden files like Chris said. I could only delete a couple of files and most I could not.

I turned off UAC and rebooted as I could not delete them. After reboot and UAC turned off I can still not delete them.

So that only leaves taking ownership as the problem although I'm not sure how to do that with WinRAR as I could not see an option or can I see the folder and subfilders normally? My account is an administrator account.

Here is the folder directory under the C recycle bin:

> S-1-5-21-1103924864-4065213793-4090749828-1000

> $R3ND3P4

> Backup

> Drivers

> en-us

and there are more folders and files in each of those directories.

I'm not sure what to do now?

Edited by wiredd, 19 June 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#7 wiredd

wiredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

I guess my only option is to live with this annoying thing although it happens less since I ran all the cleanup programs in the "infected" thread or to do a system restore. I would like to do a system Restore back to the DVD's I have from a backup I did 1 day after I purchased my laptop 2 years ago. It has become a bit slower since then and I have trouble running my Wacom as it's too slow so reverting it back to near factory setup might be a good thing. I just have to make sure I have everything backed up....

#8 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

The folders that you listed, are they not able to be deleted? What happens when you try to delete them, does it say that it's in use by another program, or you don't have the correct permissions? You can try to do a system restore  back to a date prior to this event happening.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#9 wiredd

wiredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

I can only try to delete them using WinRAR as they are invisible otherwise. When I try to delete them I get the same popup messages as in my first post (see the attached image) or this is what it says:

""The Recycle bin on C is corrupted/ Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?"

If I do a system restore back to about 6 weeks ago then I'm not sure what will be wiped out from my drive etc since I have not done this before? I'm thinking I might be better off spending a day backing up everything and then doing a full restore back to near factory setup!

#10 borwnthomas

borwnthomas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:52 AM

Just wondering if this issue was finally resolved. Have been looking for a solution to the problem without having to take the time to back everything up. Just asking... oem recycling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users