Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen with white blinking underscore after eMachine logo.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Loki Grim

Loki Grim

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

My computer literacy is not the best but I'll try to explane the problem to the best of my ability. The last time I was on my computer when it was working it said it needed to update Adobe Reader after the update was done it had to restart and on the next boot up the problem first started. The eMachine logo will show up then after that all I see is a black screen with a white underscore. I tried to use system recovery disks that I bout from eMachines but when I get to eMachines recovery management and run the factory restore it will get to the last point where it says ''updating system'' get to 21% then jumps to 100% says recovery is finished opens the CD tray, It dose not say whether or not to take the CD out so I have left the last CD in and taken it out when it gives me the ten second window telling me it will reboot. F11 dose nothing at all, most forms say to tap F11 to try starting it in safe mode but that dose not work. I removed the bios battery then put it back in, I've removed one RAM card at a time thinking one might be no good no difference or error message upon removing the RAM card(s). I've been told I might need a new Windows 7 Home Premium CD but I can't afford one, even if I could I would not buy one just save the money for a real computer such as a Dell. I have a functional HP laptop that uses Windows 7 Home Premium, is there a way to transfer files from that computer onto a flash drive then lode them onto my eMachine?

eMachines EL1852G-52w

Quick Specifications

See all specs

• Processor Intel Pentium E5800 / 3.2 GHz
  • Memory 3.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
  • Hard Drive 1.0 TB
  • Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition
  • Optical Drive DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
  • Graphics Processor Intel GMA X4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
  • Graphics Controller Integrated
  • Monitor Type eMachines E202HL - LCD display - TFT active matrix

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

So there are no error messages? Just a blank screen with a blinking cursor? The means the computer is looking for a disk to boot from and can't find one.

The fact that the repair disk didn't work indicates the problem could be the hard drive itself, and the problem will be hard to diagnose if you can't even get the computer to boot into safe mode. Transfering the files from another machine to the eMachine won't work.

In fact, you may have to do the opposite -- remove the hard drive, hook it up to another computer (an external hard drive dock with a USB connection is best for this), transfer over your important files, then place the hard drive back in the eMachine and try to reinstall the operating system. Then copy over the files from the other computer to your eMachine.

#3 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

In fact, you may have to do the opposite -- remove the hard drive, hook it up to another computer (an external hard drive dock with a USB connection

Is this what I should be looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-Black-2-5-USB-3-0-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Storage-HD-Mobile-Disk-Docks-/130925447753?pt=US_Drive_Enclosures_Docks&hash=item1e7bc3ca49

transfer over your important files, then place the hard drive back in the eMachine and try to reinstall the operating system.

The only files that are importent to me are the ones that make the computer work, there are no pictures or what ever that I care about. How would I reinstall the operating system, is there any way of doing this without a Windows 7 disk?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

I agree with sflatechguy that his blinking cursor means the system is looking for a bootable drive, and I just happen to have an eMachines laptop sitting beside me !

It's 'F8' to get from the eMachines initial screen to the Safe Mode etc choice screen, but there is one variant on this that threw me for a couple of hours a few weeks ago. When I restarted from the blinking cursor, and pressed 'F8' again, I went to something called - from memory - Boot Options. This screen looks very much like the Boot Priority screen in BIOS set-up and that is what threw me. On the computer I was working on, I was given three choices :

1   CD / DVD drive

2   Hard Disk

3   Removable media

And each time I brought this screen up, I accepted the sequence thinking I was in the BIOS. After taking a break, I had the inspiration to select No. 2 - the Hard Drive, and the computer went straight into a normal start sequence.

So, try 'F8' at the opening screen, and if you get this screen, select hard drive.

Cchris Cosgrove

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Loki, I'd recommend starting with Chris Cosgrove's suggestions. You may simply have been hitting the wrong F key (we've all done it).

If that doesn't work, try my suggestion. The external hard drive dock looks right -- hard to tell from the photo. You'll want to be sure your hard drive uses a SATA connection. Older hard drives use PATA -- if yours is a new computer, it's almost definitely SATA. The dock then connects to the other computer via USB. You won't be able to boot from the docked drive, but you should be able to see all the files and folders. If the drive won't appear at all when it's docked, you have bigger issues.

Let us know how it goes.

#6 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

So, try 'F8' at the opening screen, and if you get this screen, select hard drive.

F8 didn't work, tapped fast, tapped slow and tryed holding it down.

You'll want to be sure your hard drive uses a SATA connection.

Pretty sure that's what it is, working on transferring some photos from my phone to my e-mail to this form, that's why there is a lag in my response time.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Ah well, it was worth a shot. I'd recommend docking the hard drive in another computer, salvage what you can, then try doing a complete reinstall of the OS.

#8 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Might be something usefull in these? I hope lol.

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/Loki_Grim/slideshow/

then try doing a complete reinstall of the OS.

But dose that require a Windows 7 disk or can I use the recovery disks that eMachines gave me?

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Actually, that was. Do you have it set to boot from the CD? One slide seems to indicate that, although another slide shows the hard drive is the first drive it tries to boot from. If you did set it to boot from the CD first, make sure nothing is in that drive when you try to start the computer. 

And you definitely have a SATA hard drive.

It appears the eMachine disk is just a recovery disk. You may have to contact eMachines and get a Windows installation disk for your make and model. Some OEMs charge for this; some don't. They will ask you for the serial # of your PC and the Windows product key # on the sticker attached to the machine.

#10 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Actually, that was. Do you have it set to boot from the CD? One slide seems to indicate that, although another slide shows the hard drive is the first drive it tries to boot from.

No nothing in the drive, one of the first things I checked.

Do you have it set to boot from the CD?

No I have my hard drive set to first priority.

Some OEMs charge for this

I was going to email eMachines to try to get help with the problem, if I remember right they charge you to email them if you don't have a warranty. I think I'll do some shopping on eBay for the disk at a low price kind poor at the moment. I'll dubble check with eMachines acout the Windows disk.

Thanks for the help all of you.

#11 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

This is the responce I got from eMachines, I don't understand what they are talking about.

I understand that the system is not booting and you are unable to use the recovery media purchased.

I can imagine how inconvenient this could be. I will do my best to help you.

Thank you for the information.

I have verified your product serial number and found that the unit is out of standard limited warranty.

In order to fix this issue, I request you to format the hard drive using any third party formatting tool. You need to search online for any third party formatting tool.

- If the unit has logical hard drive partitions other than C:drive then the recovery media probably may not work. So the additional partitions needs to be deleted before you proceed with the recovery process and the C: drive needs to be formatted with NTFS file system.

- Check if the discs are detected by other computer and can see the files in it.

- Check if there are any scratches on the RCD

If you are unable to find any formatting online, I request you to contact our “Answersby” team and they will help you with it.

This is a fee-based support option with an agent who will walk you through the entire resolution process.

Answersby phone number is: 800 237 6483 and press one to talk to a consultant.

You may also contact a local technician for any assistance.

If the issue persists, please get back to us.

For further clarification, please feel free to visit our web site http://support.eMachines.com/

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,

eMachines Online Technical Support

#12 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

This is the second responce I got, was not sure if I was so post to reply to there first email because I made a typo on the serial number or submit a new question with the correct number. This time they want $249+tax LMAO. Don't mean to spam this topic, just thought these two responces might be helpfull to others.

As per the serial number, your system is out of warranty.

I understand that the system fails to boot and you are unable to perform system recovery using the recovery CDs. I know how difficult this situation is.

Luke, from what you have described, I understand that the issue is hardware related and the system needs to be scheduled for repair. To complete the repair/service on the computer, you need to pay $249+tax, excluding the one way shipping charge. This includes service and replacement of defective parts.

Depot repair will take 7 to 10 business days after the unit is received at the repair depot, however it depends on the service volume and parts availability.

Please contact us, if you are ready to send the system for repair.

However, the alternate option for you would be to contact any local technician.

For further clarification, please feel free to visit our web site http://www.emachines.com/
Have a great day!

Respectfully,
eMachines Online Technical Support

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:24 PM

They're asking you to use a third-party tool like Gparted or something similar to check if there is more than one partition on the hard drive, and if there is, to erase everything but the C partition.

They're also asking you to put the recovery disk into another computer to make sure the files are there (although they don't tell you which files should be present). And they're asking you to check the recovery disk for scratches.

If after all that, the recovery disk doesn't work, you can contact eMachine tech support but it will cost you. Or you can send it to them and they'll fix it for $250. So they won't send you an install disk.

In short, they're not being very helpful. I'd go with recovering what you can from the hard disk and think about buying a new PC. You can get a decent new one for what they're charging you to fix the one you have.

Sorry the news isn't better.

#14 Loki Grim

Loki Grim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

In fact, you may have to do the opposite -- remove the hard drive, hook it up to another computer (an external hard drive dock with a USB connection is best for this), transfer over your important files, then place the hard drive back in the eMachine and try to reinstall the operating system. Then copy over the files from the other computer to your eMachine.

Well I just bought what I have linked below, could be the wrong thing but it was only $7 and the seller lives very close to me so it should be here in ~2 days. I'll post back here if I get it to work. I've never done anything like this, and have a feeling this is going to be tricky. The optical drive is attached to the top of the HDD ha.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-iMicro-IMS25SATAB-2-5-inch-SATA-to-USB-2-0-External-HD-Enclosure-/171018020792?

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's an odd configuration. :o Look for screws that might be connecting them. Don't know why a manufacturer would want to connect those two drives -- makes it hard to service them. If they won't disconnect, you may need to use the SATA cable from your computer to connect the hard drive to the external dock.

Transferring the files will be easy. As long as the hard drive still works, you'll see all the regular files and folders you would normally see when you boot up the PC. Just navigate to what you want to save, and either save them to a folder on the other computer, or save them to a USB drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users