Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recent places folder is always empty.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rocwilder35

rocwilder35

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

I recently was having trouble with my userprofile. At first I couldnt log in and then i was able to finally log in but it was a blank temporary profile. I fixed it using profiler and all my files are back. However the computer is doing two strange things it is no longer keeping track of recent places(i have the option checked so it does) and no longer maintaing settings when viewing pictures in windows explorer(ex. viewing by date modified or viewing with a specific program like windows viewer). The minute i close the folder it goes back to a default setting. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:56 PM

Another long-standing known issue with Windows. Usually caused by a registry error. I don't normally advocate making registry changes, but this is one of those instances where it's largely unavoidable. See if this helps:

http://www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7

I should add that fixing your profile problem is the answer. You probably won't get the computer to behave properly until you've corrected the problems in the registry.

Edited by sflatechguy, 14 June 2013 - 01:57 PM.

#3 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I want to add that i have fixed the profile issue. I can log in and see my files but things are just a bit sketchy. You are asking me to download something that seems to fix a problem i took care of. Am i right?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

You don't need to download anything. Just follow the directions on fixing the profile issue. The fact that your profile is acting up -- for example, the recent places folder is always empty -- means the issue isn't fully fixed. The directions on fixing your profile should correct it. No downloads required.

#5 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

TECH GUY, i did all that at first before profiler and trust me it is not always that straight forward. It made other profiles dissapear and created different profiles etc. Profiler fixed everything 1,2,3.  I need like a registry tune up not an all out fix.

#6 rocwilder35

rocwilder35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

I also wanna add one more thing. I am unable to make my hidden folders public. I go to folder options and uncheck the boxes but it just reverts right back to hidden and i have to go thru a long ordeal just to find files. Also nothing is showing up in my recycle bin as well.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

I recommended those steps because it would reset your profile to what is was originally and we could be sure the registry settings were correct. Unfortunately, I don't know what changes Profiler made to your user accounts and I can't see your settings, so I can't recommend what your registry settings should be or what changes to the registry may need to be made.

#8 naveensharma

naveensharma

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

I recently was having trouble with my userprofile. At first I couldnt log in and then i was able to finally log in but it was a blank temporary profile. I fixed it using profiler and all my files are back. However the computer is doing two strange things it is no longer keeping track of recent places(i have the option checked so it does) and no longer maintaing settings when viewing pictures in windows explorer(ex. viewing by date modified or viewing with a specific program like windows viewer). The minute i close the folder it goes back to a default setting. Please help.

I had the same problem in my office pc. now I resolved it myself without any third-party tool. maybe this one will useful to you.

Click Start >  Run... then type in CMD and click on OK.

At the Command Prompt C:\ > type the following: chkdsk c: /r and hit the Enter/Return key

Now it'll ask this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

simply press "Y" key and hit "Enter" key

Now close the CMD window

and Reboot(Restart) your computer.

---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users