Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Short circuit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Isfit

Isfit

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hey, so my computer suddenly experienced a short circuit out of nowhere (while I was watching a video through VLC) and I would like to know a realistic chance of any of my hardware surviving. I am most concerned about my HDDs.

The computer had a grounding cable connected to the motherboard, so this should prevent a bit, right?

I am going to go to a service center tomorrow so they can check out my hardware, but I would still like a bit of hope if there is any :/

Is there maybe a quick way I can check the HDDs myself? I don't have a SATA to USB cable, is there anything else I could use?

Thank you in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Short circuit?  How do you know it was a short circuit?

Did your power supply take a dump and die?

If it was a power supply, generally a quality PSU will protect components.  I have been the victim of one PSU disaster (flames and smoke OH MY!) and everything survived intact.  Sadly I have seen cheap OEM PSUs, a lot of eMachines with Bestec PSUs, kill internal components when they die.

Only way to check your hard drive is to hook it up to another system.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Isfit

Isfit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

I know because I heard a big bang and the cutout switch in the house was triggered

Then I couldn't turn the PC back on but the motherboard power-received light was blinking.

The PSU I was using is a Tagan, 1000W, so it should have been a good PSU...

Is there an easy way to hook up an internal HDD externally?

Edited by Isfit, 14 June 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

As far as hooking up the hard drive, you will need another system and either hook it up via the SATA cable, or grab an enclosure or a USB-SATA adapter.  That's the only ways I know of.

Tagan is a name I haven't heard of in awhile.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

That bang you heard could have been one of 10 or so parts bursting, most likely a filter capacitor, less likely a winding of one of the transformers.

It is not exactly a short circuit, but it does seem like one.

You will probably need a new PSU, and everything should work fine, I cant promise anyhting but there are protections built into the boards and the power supply.

If you know anyone experienced in the field they may be able to repair the PSU for less than a new one would cost, I would not try this yourself, there is a HUGE potential to get shocked in there.

To connect an internal HDD you would need a SATA/IDE to USB convertor and after that it is essentially an external drive without an enclosure.

#6 Isfit

Isfit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Okay, thank you guys :)
I'll go to the service station tomorrow and ask them to check my hardware :D

Could you maybe in the meantime help me out here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498043/old-computer-died-thinking-about-getting-a-new-one/

In case the computer doesn't work? :) I haven't been keeping up with Hardware for like 4 years now

#7 Isfit

Isfit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Okay, it was just the PSU, thank you guys :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users