Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Shuts Down?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stdjas

stdjas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:15 AM

I have a Toshiba laptop A45 S250 W/XP Home OS. (1) When I am online or attempt to open a site or when I get my email, at times I have to “try it again” because it will say on a website “the page is not available, but, if I continue to try, it will finally open up, or my email will give a message “no email” but, when I try again and again it will work right.

(2) I can be using a program, any program, and the computer will shut down as if I had turned it off. When I restart, it will open as if I had just turned it on in the morning, all of the programs are closed, or work that was unsaved is gone.
I have Norton, and AVG, free version, Also Spy ware Dr. and Registry Mechanic.
Please help, stdjas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:23 AM

I have Norton, and AVG

Use only one antivirus or conflicts will occur. Uninstall AVG and see if the problem persists.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:27 AM

We need some more stats on your system. Ok it is a laptop but do you have Service Pack 2 installed, How much Ram, how much free space on your hard drive, etc. What email package are you running? Outlook Express?

The thing with it shutting down. What program is it that you are using when it shuts down? Is it random or any program?

Are you running on the battery? How old is the laptop? If you are running on a battery all of the time it could be getting ready to quit and you may need to get a new battery. You could have a bad Ram chip.

Please send more info on your laptop so we may be able to make a better decision.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

To expand on Frankie's suggestion. I would go one step futher and remove NIS altogether. Also are you using a USB, PCMCIA, or onboard NIC? I have found USB to cause probles especially with NICs. Clear the history, cache, and temp internet files. Did you install any software or hardware just prior to the problem presenting itself?
I would recommend you also download and run..

Antispyware

Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 stdjas

stdjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

It is a Toshiba Satellite A45 S250 W/servicepack2, 512 MB Ram. Email is Outlook Express Removed email addresses to protect member from SPAM When I try to compact the registry with Registry Mechanic, it will shut down before it completes. It has shut down while running Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9, and other programs too. Running on AC Power. Computer is almost 3 years old. 60 Gig HD w/24.81 in use. P4- 2.8 MHz.
Hope this is enough. If there is anything else that you need, I will try to find it.

Note too, it has slowed down considerably, I have ran Norton antivirus, Avg free, Spy Bot, I installed ewido anti-malware, and Registry Mechanic, I ran them when I first installed them and they seemed to help. Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give. Stdjas.

Edited by acklan, 23 April 2006 - 10:09 AM.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:26 AM

I have ran Norton antivirus, Avg free

See post #2 above.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

I would like to add to Post #2 and the last one by Albert.

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

Tools Needed = * SymNRT.exe clcik on this in red and it will download.

Just follow the instructions and you do not even have to go thru add/remove programs with this one but if you want go ahead.

Have a good day

#8 stdjas

stdjas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

It seems that Norton has kind of taken over, and when I do anything on computer it is there running, and seems to take forever. Do you think that I should leave AVG Free, and delete Norton? Is there a better antivirus? any recomendations? Thank you again for your time. stdjas

Edited by stdjas, 22 April 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

Although I have great respect for the Symantec company, their programs have been the cause of many computer woes for a long time. AVG is a fine antivirus. For those successfully running Norton Internet Security, I salute you, but for those of you with problems, I suggest you remove Norton. Follow Thor's link above to completely remove Norton.

Running more than one antivirus program at a time causes problems with several things, from one program seeing the other program's virus definitions as viruses to large amounts of resources being used. They fight each other.

Using Registry Mechanic can be dangerous - any program that modifies the registry can remove files necessary to your computer's operation. The safest way to a clean registry is to completely re-install Windows. Although it is sometimes necessary to clean registry entries after an infection, it's not something to play with on a regular basis.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

You can do worst than AVG, but you will not do better. IMO.

Edited by acklan, 22 April 2006 - 02:15 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:14 AM

I agree with the above posters, and I am not a fan of Norton myself, however I think we are still in the troublshooting phase. And for that it would be easier to delete AVG for two reasons:
  • Norton does not always uninstall properly. Can be a pain.
  • AVG is easier to replace.
If it turns out running two AVs is the cause of the problem, then following my advice by removing the easier of the two (AVG) would be a good first step towards 'proving' that. Then after the diagnoses has been made, at that point I would remove Norton completely and install AVG.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 23 April 2006 - 08:16 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users