Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What am I ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GroovyMan14

GroovyMan14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Fellow Time-travelers,

My Dell Latitude D620 is a hand-me-down, most of it's history unknown to me. According to the tag it started out in life as a Windows XP Professional but is and has been running Windows 7 Ultimate (version 6.1.7601 service pack one since I acquired it in September of 2012.

Shortly after uninstalling AVG in May it began exhibiting symptoms of Alzhiemers, schizophrenia, bi-polar and attention-deficit disorders and churlish, moody recalcitrance oddly consonant with my teenage nieces and nephews behavior. The most troubling is it's refusal, citing a laundry list of increasingly implausible explanations after the fact is its outright rejection of .EXE files which invariably begins with "Windows can't open this file. To open this file Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it" before offering me a selection of programs, most of which will not open them and a couple, Free File Viewer and I believe Notepad   open with what looks like gibberish on a page with the same result, a non-starter, then redirecting me via an Internet web page to a number of other programs equally unable to open them..   

After various failed initial attempts at correction via Windows 7 fixes, in desperation I began using the technologically challenged shotgun approach, trying XP, Vista and any other fixes or workaround's that looked the least bit promising and began scanning for troublemaking wares, spy, mal and ad and  their ugly relatives, the various viruses, using several different programs, none of which cured or even slowed down the rising fall of the Latitude empire culminating in a situation in which I was unable to open anything at all yesterday which a kind and gracious angel in the guise of a Microsoft customer representative, no, really, came to my rescue enabling the transmission of this wordy build-up to my question for today

Am I an XP Professional or an Ultimate seven ? Inquiring mind's want to know.I thank you in advance for any light you may shed on the mystery. in my next post I will include a pretty funny joke in reward of  the enlightenment so spoken.

Sincerely,

GroovyMan14.

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2013 - 03:30 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Are you an XP Pro or an Ultimate 7?

--- What does your computer boot into?

--- Is it a dual boot system?

--- Do you have the Ultimate 7 repair or install discs?

--- Do you have the XP Pro repair or install discs?

You have been operating this computer with Windows 7 Ultimate since September 2012

--- What problems have you had with it since then until now?

You uninstalled AVG in May

--- Why?

--- What did you replace it with?

You cannot open .exe files

--- Run the malware protection programs that you have

--- Perform maintenace programs that apply

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time, but I think the basics need to be reviewed

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users