Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 repair

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

I am attempting to do a Windows 7 repair via the install disk...(performing an upgrade).  This is due to Windows OS corruption...(doesn't recognize 'scan now' command...Windows view updates and features shows blank window, Windows updates errors out...a number of issues.

I pop in the disk in and choose Upgrade...it initiates the "Copying Windows" step...however it errors out with the message  "Setup can't continue. Restart the computer and restart Setup.  When prompted, try getting the latest updates."  I can't do a windows update..

I've done a number of things starting with removing any unnecessary programs, removing AV, recreating logins...issue still persists.

Might have to rebuild from scratch...however, was wondering if there are log files associated with this so I can pinpoint the problem.

Checked WindowsUpdateLog...doesn't seem to pertain to this Install/Upgrade.

Anyone know where this log file would be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

You can find information for accessing the Windowsupdate.log file at Microsoft Support.

%windir%\Windowsupdate.log

What is the make and model of this computer?

Did you disable your firewall and antivirus programs before trying the repair installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

The laptop is a Latitude E6520 running Windows 7 Pro.

What I have done so far.

• Removed SAV and turned off Windows Firewall
  • Tried to repair while logged in as local admin account
  • Set Msconfig to only load system services and tried to do the repair...issue still persists

History of laptop.

• Initially, when downloading a file from a browser (from either IE or Chrome, from user account or admin account) the browser would flag the file as a virus.  Downloading same file from another computer... no problem downloading file.
  • Ran malware bytes...cleaned up malware...issue persisted
  • Ran TDSS killer...no rootkits found.
  • Researched issue, and found that possible faulty install of AV might be attributed to the problem.
  • MSSE was installed on machine..however I could not uninstall or reinstall.  Used MS removal tool..which removed from ad remove programs, however I could not reinstall MSSE to do a clean uninstall...it still saw MSSE as installed.
  • Went through registry and removed MSSE keys, antimalware, and microsoft security client...ran ccleaner to clean up registry
  • Installed SAV..did a full scan.
  • Can't do Windows updates...receive error code 80073712
  • System does not recognize sfc /scannow…"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"
  • Ran check disk...issue still persists
  • When I try to view installed updates...I just receive a blank box.
  • Renamed Software Distribution folder...problem still persists.

#4 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

The windows update log.  

Attached Files

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

At this point it would be good to be able to rule out an infection.  I would suggest opening a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.  I would also suggest posting a link to this topic so that what has been covered can be accessible.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

You are computer literate, but I have to ask anyway.

Are you sure you weren't trying to install the operating system on the recovery partition?

#7 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

I used the a Windows OEM disk.... launched setup..Chose upgrade as per Windows suggestions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/windows-update-error-80073712

Definitely running a 'upgrade' from the CD, although technically not an upgrade. 

Started a I am infected thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/498081/windows-7-repair/

No info by tonight, I'll just bite the bullet and do a reinstall from scratch.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm familiar with the Window 7 repair installation process, there is a much better tutorial than Microsoft's, this can be found at SevenForums.

The Latitude E6520 comes from the factory with two partitions, one for the operating system, and a second for the system recovery.  I had a brain fart and wondered if it was possible for the repair (upgrade) to access the recovery partition.

I usually don't make the suggestion to do a fresh install of the operating system unless it is the last resort.  But in your case it may be quicker and easier to do a fresh install.  If you wind up doing this you might consider using a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the hdd.  Since you have the retail copy of Windows 7 you can make the installation without add all of the bloatware which comes with OEM computers.

I see that you have posted a topic in the Am I Infected forum, but have not responded to xXToffeeXx's suggestion regarding scan files, you need to respond to continue in that topic.  You would be in good hands with xXToffeeXx.

#9 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

I couldn't give much to XxToffeeXx since I did not save my malware bytes and ccleaner scan log results.  I replied as such.

Will most likely do a reinstall.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

<<I did not save my malware bytes and ccleaner scan log results.>> CCleaner has no Logs.

NOTE the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program saves all old scan logs in the program.

Just click Logs and they will open with the date of scans. See above -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users