Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

What is the best tool to use for defragmenting a disk?  Is the stock windows defrag utility as good as any other or is there something better out there to use?

Oh yeah this is for windows systems ranging from XP to 8 (only two Win8 machines, mostly Win7)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

The best one I ever had was "Perfect Disk 7". Unfortunately that is no longer available, and the newest versions of "Perfect Disk" no longer support working with "Fat 32" partitions. The last version that worked with both "FAT 32" and "NTSF" was "Perfect Disk 10" which is not as good as "Perfect Disk 7" was.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hi hispaladin,

You indicated most of your systems are running Win 7, which (as you noted) already has an automatic defragmenting application.  You can adjust the defragmenting schedule if desired.  In my own experience, I once used the Defraggler program by Piriform which is a good program.  The only issue I encountered is that Defraggler may indicate the HDD (the C drive on my machine) has fragmented areas, when the Win 7 defragmenter application shows no fragmentation.  When I ran the Defraggler program again, it would indicate even more fragmented areas than when I first ran it.  After receiving some advice within the BC Forums here on the issue, I've just relied on the stock Win 7 defragmentation application alone.

IMHO, I would just use the Win 7 defragmentation program that's already built-in.

Best regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 15 June 2013 - 02:58 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

I agree with the estimation of the defragmenter provided with Windows being quite adequate. Other defragmenters may be somewhat faster in action, provide extra features some people like, or achieve some "better" figure in terms of a result. But in practice, these differences provide little or no real advantage to an average user. Also, the rise of SSDs is reducing the significance of a defragmentation utility, as traditional hard drives start to take on more of the long-term storage functions where fragmentation is less of a problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Auslogics Disk Defrag is a "quicker" program, BUT every time I use it there is another 100 files to defrag ??

Then I can use M/soft installed program and it still takes another 10 minutes to finish (use the installed version) -

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Auslogics defaults to defragment files only, without compaction (defragmenting free-space ) or boot optimization (moving system & regularly accessed files to the start of the drive), thus delivering a quick defrag. If you tick "Move system files to the beginning of the disk" on the Algorithms tab in Program Settings, and start the program from Action/Defrag & Optimize, it will function similarly to the Windows Defrag, and probably only be slightly faster.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Ok thanks for the input, sounds like sticking with stock defrag is as good as any other and since it works well and we have no problems with it I will do just that.  thanks again for your input everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users