Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this update pop up a virus?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 brounsville

brounsville

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

Hi Guys I've been getting a weird program popping up on my screen telling me that there are some new versions of some of my pc programs which I need to update. The pop up program is correct but In the 4 years that I've had my pc I've never seen this updater before. It also has a weird toolbar that it wants me to download if I try to update through the program. I'm about 80% sure this is a virus of some sort but I am no expert. has anyone seen this before? (a picture of the pop up is attached below)

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 15 June 2013 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

That is a legitimate ad, you can see it at FileHippo.com

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

I know Skype is legitimate. I'm talking about the pop up that's telling me to update Skype.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Do you have an update checker on your system? A lot of us have Secunia but that is not a Secunia message.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

I know Skype is legitimate. I'm talking about the pop up that's telling me to update Skype.

I was telling you that the ad is legitimate, not a virus.  The download at FileHippo is exactly the same.

Frankp316 is heading you in the correct direction.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

Edited by dc3, 14 June 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sorry for the late reply.

Do you have an update checker on your system? A lot of us have Secunia but that is not a Secunia message.

avast tells me when certain programs need updating but that looks different. 

I was telling you that the ad is legitimate, not a virus.  The download at FileHippo is exactly the same.

Frankp316 is heading you in the correct direction.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

oh ok sorry I didn't understand. I'll try and do a snapshot now.

#7 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

here is the snap shot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VUmNhgDDvKaazKaD0bqfoOg

I've also attached some images of the messages of the updater program. Its from file.org I've been on the website and it doesn't seem like a legit website. It also asks me to download delta toolbar. maybe I'm just being paranoid but I honestly think this updater program is a virus. 

#8 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

pics

Attached Files

#9 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

sorry i cant add the 3rd pic

Edited by brounsville, 15 June 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#10 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Personally, I wouldn't trust it since that anything asking for programs to updated could want to install to malware. As for the delta toolbar, it will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries.

I have asked for this topic to be moved to AII (Am I infected) so you can check to see if you are infected.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

If you have Skype installed you should be aware that it does have a updater.  I installed it just to be certain of this.

To see this, click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, type  services.msc /s in the Search programs and file box, then click on servies.msc /s in Programs.  Scroll down the list of Services and find Skype Updater.

Its description reads "Enables the detection, download and installation of updates for Skype".  The Startup Type is automatic.

There may be other issues which xXToffeeXx can help you with, but if you have Skype installed you can relax regarding the update message.

#12 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I've used Skype for about a year and a half, and have never seen a updater look like that. This is what the updater should look like, and to add to this, it normally only appears if you open Skype: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TLm2i0f1xmw/Tf4Sh8hLZzI/AAAAAAAAAP8/orJPwy5ndjY/s1600/8+update+2.png

It wanting to install delta toolbar too is plain dodgy, the legit Skype updater does not do that. Also, the name of the verified publisher is wrong, it should be "Skype Technologies S.A.", but is instead listed as "Trusted Software ApS".

Too many viruses pose as Skype, namely the "FBI"/"Moneypack"/"anything that locks up your computer and wants you to pay money to unlock it". If you want to update Skype, I suggest opening up the program and following the instructions it gives (if your version is out of date), or uninstalling it if you don't use it.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 15 June 2013 - 11:26 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Good timing... just before your post I found an image of the real popup, this does appear to be different.

I do not use Skype, so this is added to the learning curve. :thumbup2:

#14 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yup, you learn something everyday :) It didn't look legit, at least using Skype regularly hasn't just been a waste of time xD

Hopefully a helper should be able to see what they can do to get rid of these pop-ups.

xXToffeeXx~

#15 brounsville

brounsville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi guys. Yes thats the thing the updater doesn't just pop up for skype. it has done it for a few other programs. what I've done is just update those programs directly without using that particular updater. I've done a scan with, eset, malware, jrt, combofix  and avast but it still pops up. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm in the process of updating skype so we'll see what happens then. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users