Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus has locked up computer demanding money

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zlloyd1

zlloyd1

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

I was recently online surfing for research materials for my classes, and got somehow redirected to a website that I did not recognize.  So, I tried to leave, and pressed the back arrow on my browser, but the site would not let me leave, and instead a window popped up asking me if I was sure I wanted to close the page with the option to leave page, or stay on page. So, I clicked leave page, hoping to close the page altogether, but this did not happen. Instead my computer then locked up, and a page opened up covering the entire screen saying that my computer was blocked by the so called, "FBI Cybercrime Division", an organization that does not exist, and that I need to make a payment using MoneyPack to unblock my PC. I know this is a virus, because it happened to a friend I know, and I remember helping her remove the thing, but I cannot use that method, because apparently the fake cybercrime people have figured out how this was being done, and have strengthened their virus to prevent it. :smash:
In order to remove this ignorant ransomware virus, you have to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, and install a program, but you cannot do this now because it will boot to Safe Mode, but as soon as the desktop loads the computer immediately logs off and shuts down again?? :huh:
Is there any way that I can get to System restore, without needing to boot to Windows?? Because this stupid, fake FBI warning page pops up before you can even get to the desktop.... :axe:
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell desktop PC.
HELP PLEASE!!!! :clapping:

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 June 2013 - 08:58 AM.
moved from Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matty34

matty34

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hello buddy,

Looks like you're having the similar problem to me at the moment (but mines the UK version)

BC made a tutorial on how you can remove the software, but this is only if you know your way around a computer. Just make sure the problem looks similar (it sounds similar) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 June 2013 - 09:01 AM.
removed reference to posting in AII. Not needed since the topic was moved to AII.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users