Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pum.hijack.homepage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 rocky14321

rocky14321

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:22 AM

i got this thing"pum.hijack.homepage" when i scanned the  registry how to safe guard my pc and how to remove it?plz help it seems someone views my pc through browser help me guys

Edited by rocky14321, 14 June 2013 - 06:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

What security program is advising you of this PUM?

If it is Malwarebytes, be aware that a Potentially Unwanted Modifcation (PUM) is an unwanted change made to your computer's settings. Malwarebytes considers the change potentially unwanted because it cannot determine if the modification was set by the user, a legitimate program or by malware.

PUM.Hijack.HomePageControl means that there is a policy modification set to block changing the Homepage in Internet Explorer. Both legitimate programs and malware can change the Home page in a browser. "Disable Changing Home Page Settings" (enabled) is a Group Policy Setting every Administrator can apply. Some anti-virus and security tools will enable this setting as part of its protection of your browser. Setting this policy by malware often prevents or makes if difficult for the the user to change the Homepage back.

If you are aware of this policy change (you or a program you use made it), then you can safely ignore the detections in Malwarebytes and add them to the ignore list.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rocky14321

rocky14321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

once i clicked a website it opened blank and later that incident someone was monitoring my pc . my online activity

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

What actions (security tools, scans have you taken so far?

#5 rocky14321

rocky14321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

first of all i scanned with malware bytes antimalware and it scanned for two malwares ."pum.hijack.homepage" and another pum i dont know the name it started with windows. something. next i scanned with combo fix . then i was not confident again i did a scan with spybot. But i have kaspersky  internet security 2013 it did not detect that two malwares .

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

Since you already ran Combofix, its log should be thoroughly reviewed by trained experts in order to ascertain what was detected/removed. A log should have been created and saved to the root directory, usually C:\ComboFix.txt.

Please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6. When you have done that, start a new topic and post the required logs to include your ComboFix log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

#7 rocky14321

rocky14321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

should i zip the" attach file " from dds or just upload it without zipping it?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

You did it correctly.

Your log(s) is posted here.

Now that your log is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users