Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth switching to powerline?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bbal

bbal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

I've been using wifi for some years now and I can't say I enjoy it... The cable in my room has poor signal so I was forced to put the router in a different room and running an ethernet cable is not an option. My wifi connection constantly cuts out and nothing seems to fix it. I'm on a desktop and I'm using a USB adapter. I tried switching the adapter and switching the router but nothing seems to help. Changing the channel on the router also doesn't help. I read up on these powerline adapters and I want to know if it's actually worth switching over since they provide a hard line. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer :)

I do not specialize in networking, and cannot comment on how many problems we get with powerline networking in general, all I can say, however, is that despite reading about all of the various problems online, I made the switch to powerline networking myself after I got sick and tired with WiFi, and all I can say is that it has been a wonderful experience. It has not been without its problems, I have once or twice had to power cycle the devices, but nothing like the number of times I dealt with WiFi issues. Haven't noticed any speed or quality issues, so just from my one experience, I would highly recommend.

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but one of the other technicians at my work is quite satisfied using it.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 bbal

bbal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

Speed is not my issue. I just need to know if I will have connection problems with powerline adapters because I'm really fed up with my wifi connection constantly dropping. Looking for someone who can shed some light in this matter.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

The only way to know how it is going to work for you is to try it.

#6 kaiwon

kaiwon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

The effectiveness of powerline adapters depends on the quality/age of the wiring in your house, if you have bad quality/old wiring then you may find that you will get insufficient speeds. It's also worth knowing that if you're going to use powerline adapers, put them directly into the sockets and not on gang extension leads.

#7 bbal

bbal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

Just got myself a powerline kit and everything seems good. Download speed is nearly twice the speed I was getting with wifi. I'll see how it goes with holding the connection.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

That's a good start. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users