Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do all simple routers require DSL or faster connections to allow setup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

I just bought a D-Link router for a non-internet connected network of just computers and a printer. When I used their setup wizard (and in the manual) it will only run the Auto Wizard to work while already connected via DSL or higher. Dial-up isn't allowed. I don't want the dial-up to be part of this network (I know it won't work) but is it common for manufacturers to require a working ethernet internet connection just to even set-up a non-internet network? They offer a manual set-up but I can't seem to get past the screen where it asks what type of internet connection I will be using ?!?! It's the DIR 601 model but I think they all set up the same. If I have to send this back will there be another brand that doesn't require this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

Update:

D Link support got back to my email to them asking about this.

They said it can be done without internet access. I guess I'll have to spend some time on the phone with them....something I'm not looking forward to.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

No its not common for routers to Require a Internet connection. Most routers can be configured as an access point which doesn't require the WAN port. Page 24 of the owners manual shows you how to enter the settings manually. Do not use the easy setup cd. Connect to the routers log in page at 192.168.0.1, Select Admin from the drop down menu and leave the password blank.  Select Manual configuration, this should let you set up the wireless for the computers.

Link to the Manual

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 June 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Thanks. Yes. I eventually found my way to Network Setup. I've had the manual but I can't say it was all that useful for a novice at networking like me.

I was lost in all those setup screens. There were just too many settings for this and that.

I'll get this figured out yet. Even if I have to read something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users