Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

I cannot delete a document file which I think is a word pad doc. Can’t tell for sure since there are no extensions showing. Even in properties all I get is the title of the doc. I restarted my pc. That didn’t help. Tried renaming said doc but it won’t except new name. When I click on item and select delete I get a popup saying: Could not find this item

This is no longer located in C:\Whatever\Whatever\My Documents\Download Verify the items location and try again.

I then tried using a free software tool called Unlocker. I had used this tool successfully many times on my old windows XP laptop. It easily unlocked and deleted problem files. I downloaded the latest version of Unlocker from MajorGeeks.com to use on my Windows 7 pc. But unlike the older version this one comes with unwanted extras. Though I used advance install and un-selected the boxes so the Delta Toolbar would not install, it did anyway. And it re-set my FF and IE home pages. I immediately uninstalled Unlocker and the unwanted toolbars. Scanned my PC with Malwarebytes pro and Avast. Thankfully both came up clean. Then I wasted another hour removing the toolbars and re-ssetting the homepages.

But I’m still stuck with the document that won’t delete.

Anyone know of a tool like Unlocker that will safely install and remove the unwanted file?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Use FileASSASSIN from your Malwarebytes Pro.  You may just forget about this function.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

If FileASSASSIN does not work try deleting it while in safe mode. Sometimes that will work.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 June 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#4 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. FileAssasin did not work. Couldn't drag offending file into the delete box. Kept insisting that the file didn't exist. Safe mode didn't do the trick either. After searching around I finally found success after installing IObit's Unlocker tool. This small program allowed me to choose what I wanted and didn't want installed. Then all I had to do was right click on the file and IObit's Unlocker snagged it, and then I just clicked the unlock and delete button...and presto! The file was gone.

This tool is a definite keeper.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Just for the record, the installer will attempt to install several "add-ons" including their own toolbar, antivirus, other garbage. Be careful and read carefully before clicking "install".

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users