Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen at the end of Windows install on newly wiped hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iceking77

iceking77

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

So I recently used Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe my hard drive, and whenever I attempt to install Windows 7 the installation goes through till it reads finishing installation, then after a few minutes gives me blue screen and crashes. My laptop is a dell inspiron and has 3 gb of memory on it. I was told it was possible that when I used DBAN it erased instructions built into my hard drive that allow an operating system to be installed to it. Not sure if there is anything I can do to diagnose the blue screen or if there's any common cause for this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hi

Why did you re-installed Windows ?. How the system worked before formatting ?

Windows can be installed in a fully erased hard drive without any problem. In fact that is the recommended method in case of a serious rootkit infection. I suspect a hardware issue as the cause. Sometimes a defective installation DVD can also produce BSOD when installing. Let us first check your hardware health condition using built in diagnostics. Follow the below steps.

1 ) Keep pressing F12 while powering on until you see a boot selection menu.

2 )Select Diagnostics from the menu to run built in self test.

3 )If there are no errors detected during the short test, you will be asked for permission to run an extensive test. Choose OK and run the test. 

Post the result in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 June 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#3 iceking77

iceking77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sorry for the taking awhile to respond, hope you still want to help!

I did what you suggested and got this message:

Error Code 0146.

Msg: Error Code 2000-0146

Msg: Hard Drive 1 - Self Test log contains previous error(s)

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.

Do you want to continue testing?

At this point I pressed Y to continue and the other tests (including the extensive one) went normal.

It then said:

Pre-boot System Assessment complete. No diagnostic utility partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hi

As i suspected earlier, your hard drive has surface defects (bad sectors ). You should replace the hard drive. Dell laptops, especially Inspirion 4010 and 5010 are well known for faulty hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users