Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives Disc or Solid State ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I know there are two type of HD's my Presario 4403 has a shot disc drive HD, . .

so can I put the solid state type in to replace it ?

I assume they are more dependable ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

If this is a 12 year old Presario 4403 I just spent time looking up, then no.  Some things even an SSD can't help.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

You most likely cannot if it is indeed 12 years old, its most likely still using IDE, they do not make IDE SSD's only SATA.

To answer your question, they are less likely to fail due to jostling/motion BUT id you have it as your only hard drive and it is going to be in constant use you will only get a couple years out of it (2-5 to be precise) due to the memory "wearing out" so to speak.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hi

Yes, a 12 year old system probably will only have an IDE interface. Even if the system do have a SATA port, i don't recommend using a SSD as it requires a fairly new high speed SATA controller and driver to function correctly.

SSD have both advantages and disadvantages. 

Advantages :

- High read and write speed. As a result both system boot speed and responsiveness will be higher than a HDD based system.

Disadvantages 

- Prone to crashes and failures than a HDD.

As opposed to many users believes, solid state drive's failure rates are higher than hard disks. Some SSD brands are notoriously famous for buggy firmware which causes   system crashes, freezes , hangs and blue screens. Unlike hard disks, SSD requires up to date firmware for proper operation.

First hard disk is invented on 1954 by IBM. To this day, hard disk technology passed through serious research and analysis. Several technologies had introduced to improve the reliability of hard drives. Today's HDD technology is 60 year old and mature. That is the reason it surpasses solid state drives in reliability. SSD is relatively new and may require some more time to mature like hard drives.

- Shorter life span.

SSD life span is shorter than a HDD due to the wearing and tearing happening in read\write operations. That is why it is not recommended to defrag a SSD. Some folks even recommends to  disable paging to reduce the writing operations.

- Difficult to recover data.

If a hard disk failed and there are some important data you want, professional data recovery companies can probably recover the data for a reasonable fee. This is possible as the data is stored in the platters and it will be there even if the head, motors or the drive electronics fails. Recovery is only difficult if there are too many bad sectors on the platter surface. But if an SSD is failed, your data will be gone forever (in 99% cases). Since SSD uses chips to store data, a circuit failure can permanently destroy your data.

If any one want use SSD, here is my recommendation.

- avoid low quality brands. I prefer drives from reputed companies like Seagatehttp://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/enterprise-hard-drives/ssd/pulsar/

- Only use the SSD as a system drive (for Windows installation ). For data storage use a separate hard disk. This is best for performance and safety.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 June 2013 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users