Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP taskbar "mirror"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

A week ago my XP taskbar - the central part at the bottom of my screen - started to "mirror" the shortcut icons (quite a number, some of which are folders) displayed on my desktop.  Deleting these one by one from the taskbar caused the same icon to disappear from the desktop, but "My Documents" and "My Computer" won't go. The taskbar is not locked.  If I unclick "show text" all the icons reappear and clicking or unclicking "show title" doesn't seem to have much effect. How can I get rid of the lot and get back the clear taskbar that I had previously? Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Are you saying...that you have no other system problems?

Louis

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Louis - That is what you might call a loaded question!!  I do the regular security checks but you never know if something gets through.  For a long time I have suffered from slow boot-up times but am gradually going through the autoruns to see what can be disabled.  I can't offhand think of any single event that coincided with the taskbar playing up (but obviously something has caused it). There are various programs which claim to do system checks and the like but in a separate post this evening I was warned to steer clear of anything that might reek of a registry cleaner.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

It's not a loaded question of any sort.

Often...members ask for assistance when they are focused on a symptom of a problem...rather than the problem or the root cause of the problem.  I see such just about every day and it necessitates a lot of questions and information-gathering efforts by those who are trying to help...concerning facts/situations which probably should have been part of the original post.  Some members aren't willing to do such digging...and that impairs their efforts to assist, IMO.

Louis

#5 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I think there might have been a smilie missing from my reply.  What I was trying to say was that if there were any system problems (which I am not aware of) they could account for what I am reporting - and be the whole point at issue.  I wish I could give you a more categoric answer to your question, but at this point I cannot regretfully. By all means ask for further details and I will attempt to provide them.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Well...let's take a look at some data :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log

List Installed Programs

List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users