Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Boot into Windows XP Pro SP3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ishldgetoutmore

ishldgetoutmore

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

When I left last night, I shut my computer down and let it install Windows updates. I usually wait at least a few days and check to see if there's widespread problems before installing, after some issues many years ago. I've been getting sloppy lately, and didn't check for this latest update.

Today, my computer wouldn't finish booting. It gets as far as the login splash screen, with the different accounts on the computer, and then reboots. I can't click on anything before it cycles.

First I ran AVG Rescue CD. It found two corrupt Chrome files but no viruses.

Then I got into Safe Mode, and ran MSCONFIG, and set it for a Diagnostic Boot - so it would only run the necessary drivers and files. No dice, it actually lets me enter my password for my account before cycling, but it still reboots every time.

So, I pulled out my Windows XP CD and figured I would restore the operating system. But when I run it, it won't see the hard drive. (!)

I'll admit, I'm stumped. Some kind of hard disk issue, maybe? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Edited by ishldgetoutmore, 13 June 2013 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Can you boot into safe mode right now?

Can you get into the BIOS?  Does the BIOS reflect all drives correctly?

Louis

#3 ishldgetoutmore

ishldgetoutmore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

So, it seems the CD I was trying to repair from was SP1, which won't work with my SATA drive. Found a SP2 disk and that works - I'm in the drive now, getting up the nerve to rewrite the boot partition...

System manufacturer: HP

Model: xw4300 Workstation

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

HP Support webpage, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00383633&prodSeriesId=471922

Troubleshooting webpage, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SupportTaskIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=471922

I don't know anything about HP systems, other than the fact that they may have non-standard boot setups and may employ recovery partitions.

Louis

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

This is one of the reasons, that when Windows is running reliably, I stop doing updates. Another reason, is the more updates you install, the more bloated and slower Windows becomes. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

This is one of the reasons, that when Windows is running reliably, I stop doing updates. Another reason, is the more updates you install, the more bloated and slower Windows becomes. 

Well...I think that protecting your system from all the malware that exists today...by installing critical updates...is something that's as basic as turning the system on.  That message has been expressed by most knowledgeable persons for eons now, along with the recommendation to do routine system backups.

Installing critical updates...well, if you consider them to be "bloat"...I have to wonder just what you consider essential on a system running Windows.  Those updates are far more important than any program installed...any driver installed...because there is no program and no driver which will form the primary defense of your Windows O/S.

Firewall, AV program, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, et alia....those are all secondary defense mechanisms for the O/S.  None of those can perform reliably in today's environment...if Windws has known vulnerabilites which have not been remedied by critical updates issued for the O/S.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 June 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#7 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Well my antivirus, (F-Secure), seems to work alright, I also have Malwarebytes, and I don't have any problems. But if I do get problems, I can always restore my Boot Partitions, (3 of them), and my software partition, and my user files partition, from "Norton Ghost Images" kept on separate drives in "Hot Swap Trays".

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

What is the status of your system issues, ishidgetoutmore?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users