Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing, Spinning Blue Circle, Unresponsiveness / Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

My computer is freezing, requiring me to power down; it is also unresponsive at times so that click from one application to another takes a few seconds rather than immeidate switch; it also has periods of the horrid spinning blue circle.

This happened a few weeks ago. Folks on this site were very helpful but now the problem is back. As suggested last time, I ran chkdsk but the problems continue.

I fear, however, that the harddrive may be dying. It's about five years old. I downloaded the manufacturer's harddrive diagnostic tool but it does not even recognize the harddrive.

Any other ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

If you have the correct diagnostic...and the drive cannot be recognized as such by it...I'd say that's conclusive evidence of a failing drive.

Louis

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

If you have the correct diagnostic...and the drive cannot be recognized as such by it...I'd say that's conclusive evidence of a failing drive.

Louis

I'd stick my neck out and second the above statement.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

I was afraid of that. Does failing harddrive require a new computer?

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

I use Norton Internet Security, I then added Ad-Aware. Could that cause problems?

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

I reread the diagnostic tool's instructions. It says nothing about a device not showing up in the scan but does say that the diagnostic tool is not designed to operate on the primary drive. Huh? Does that mean it can't detect my harddrive? should I put the tool on an external drive?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Well...you haven't told us what diagnostic you used.  If we knew that...and the manufacturer of the  hard drive...we might be able to retrace what actually happened.

Louis

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Oops, sorry. Mine is a Hitachi harddrive. Apparently it is from a company called HGST. I downloaded their "fitness test" from here:

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/#WINDFT

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Aashhh...I see the mistake made (I made it a couple of weeks ago myself).

There is Hitachi...and there is HGST.  Hitachi sold it's hard drive business to Western Digital in 2012, while HGST is the result of that deal.  It is a Western Diigital whollyj-owned subsidiary...but it produces drives which are not WD drives and completes with WD in the hard drive market.

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST

"It was agreed that WD would operate with WD Technologies and HGST as wholly owned subsidiaries and they would compete in the marketplace with separate brands and product lines."   

So there is a WD sub which bears the Hitachi name, but it doesn't make or care about the old Hitachi hard drives.  It has developed a new diagnostic utility which has the limitation you ran into...it's not made for Hitachi drives, it's made for HGST drives. 

The utility for HGST drives...is not designed for Hitachi drives made prior to the merger/acquisition...it is designed for drives produced by the new entity (HGST).  It is called the Windows Drive Fitness Test.  It is downloaded from the HGST site and is mistakenly taken by some on the Web to be an updated Hitachi DFT version.  It is notl.

The old utility is called simply the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and can be downloade from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ibm_hitachi_drive_fitness_test.html

I just downloaded each...the Windows DFT download file reflects WINDFT.zip, while the Hitachi DFT (the one you want) reflects dft_32.zip.

Naturally, neither the WD or HGST websites posted anything that I've found...to reflect the differences for their customers :).

Follow the directions at MajorGeeks to use the utility to test your drive.

Louis

#10 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks. Wil do so this evening.

#11 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hello. Sorry to be difficult but I downloaded the file and launched it and it appeared as a disc copier, burner, utility not a diagnostic tool. I read through the directions and did not see anything about diagnostics. Am I missing something?

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

.... Does failing harddrive require a new computer?

No; just another hard drive. How dated is the HDD (is it the OEM Vista)?

Is there any evidence of malware or unreponsive software showing in Task Manager (lol).

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hello. Sorry to be difficult but I downloaded the file and launched it and it appeared as a disc copier, burner, utility not a diagnostic tool. I read through the directions and did not see anything about diagnostics. Am I missing something?

The MD5 (73C6E2DB8D03E5E0A19599D39F17BE05) matches a bootable image that diagnoses hard drives...?

Attached File  HDD.JPG   84.9KB   3 downloads

Maybe malware related?

Edited by bludgard, 14 June 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#14 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Not sure how old the harddrive is. I don't recall exactly, but I believe I bought this computer in November 2008 so that means it's going on five years. I think that's a bit old for a harddrive, right?

No evidence of malware that I can see or that Norton Internet Security is reporting. The software is unresponsive, especially Outlook and Firefox. The circle spins for a while and then all works normally. It seems to be worst during the first half-hour or so after I boot-up, wake from sleep, etc. I thought I was just asking it to do too much at once, but maybe the harddrive just ain't what she used to be?

Thanks.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

You cannot just download the file and burn it to CD and use it.

It's an .iso file and must use an iso-burning program to make a bootable CD.  A simple program to use is Imgburn.

Then...insert the CD, change your boot order in the BIOS so that system boots from optical drive...reboot.  The diagnostic will run.

Burn ISO Using Imgburn - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic444375.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users