Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Were files hidden by virus or deleted? How to restore

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bigbw9

bigbw9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks in advance for help on this.

THe other day I was using my computer and went to lunch and came back to it an hour later and when I came back it had restarted on me.  There was a message that said the computer shut down improperly so I clicked on Start Windows Normally.  The computer started up normally. I was downloading music from Legal Sounds before I went to lunch.

When my computer came back on, everything was gone.  My desktop was clean and black background, software gone, pictures and documents gone and task bar and start up menu gone as well.  Also, system tools, such as system restore were gone as well.

Did a virus hide all of my files, or were they deleted some how? 

It appears they are deleted, however my C:/ Drive says that 230gb out of 280 gb are free, meaning 50gb of space are taken up by files. This is approx how much space I had used previously.  I would assume that if everything was deleted my c: drive would have 280/280 gb free.

Were my files deleted or hidden somewhere?  And how do I restore?  I ran unhide.exe from here however it didn't restore my files.

Thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 13 June 2013 - 11:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infeccted - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users