Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Freeze Before Log On Screen?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gameroman

gameroman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:19 AM

Hi, this is my first post in this forum, all the problems i've had with the computer i've been able to repair them myself, but this time I really need help from someone more knowledgable.
I have a laptop, Compaq Presario 1500, Pentium 4, Windows XP, 1.6 Ghz, 256 Ram.
My computer freezes into a black screen or empty screen, whatever you may call it, it happens after the Windows XP logo with the loading bar below it, and before the log on screen which of course i haven't been able to get to. It just stays black, in safe mode it just starts loading all these things like drivers like a list of things and then stops and freezes like that, and last known configuration doesn't work either, and it doesn't respond to anything i do with the keyboard.
I asked a friend to make some boot disks for me, and he gave me 6 floppy disks, I tried using them and after loading all of them and following the steps, at disk 6 it gives me the options to 1. install XP , 2. go to the recovery console and 3. to exit.. I tried first the recovery console and it just asks me "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto? 1: C:\WINDOWS " .. then i wrote 1 and pressed enter.. and nothing happened, it seem it froze like that too. I don't have the Windows XP CDROM so i cant install anything... i could try getting one, but still, i'm at the point that i don't know if getting it would help me, or if there is a way to use these floppies to repair whatever error the computer has.
Thats why I ask if somebody could give me some directions, i would greatly appreciate any help, don't matter if its just a small suggestion, i've had the computer in this state for two weeks with no signs of hope, so any help would be really great.
Thanks much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

It seems to me, and you might want to wait until others weigh in on your situation, that you have a problem with the video driver.

When Windows starts it uses a generic driver for the video. Then it loads another driver while booting up. It seems that this is when you lose your screen.

Hmmmmmm. :flowers:
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:39 AM

I have to agree with Albert E. it sounds like the video driver is toast. Here is what you can try and you do not need the install disk you do not have.

When booting up go to Safe Mode and then right click on MY COMPUTER and select Properties, then left click Hardware then Device Manager, scroll down to Display Adaptors and left click the little plus to open the drop down. Next write down what the video card is so you know what is installed.

At this point I would exit here and go to the manufacturer of the display adaptor and download the latest video driver from them.

After getting the new video driver from the manufacturer run and install it - this will clear this up - One thing all of this has to be done in Safe Mode, the final reboot will be a Normal one into Windows.

If you do not want to get the video driver from the manufacturer then after writing down what it is just delete it and then reboot Windows Normally and Windows will re-install the driver that is already on the system. If it is not re-installed to what it is supposed to be it is either one of two things

1 - Bad driver - solution = go get the new driver anyway

2 - possibly a bad video card = have this checked out by a qualified tech or some one that knows video cards. and if the video card is good you might have to do either a repair of Windows or the dreaded re-installation. Which means you will need the Windows install information (Disk) for your system. I would suggest contacting your computer manufacturer for that it will be a lot easier.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:50 AM

Ok I have something that will help incase of the worst and you have to re-install and do not have the recovery disks.

Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disc = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Step-By-Step: Reinstall Windows =
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

The first one is for making a XP recovery disk and it does work, I use it myself to make recovery disks for members of the user group I am in, this is one thing you are going to have to have to reinstall windows, along with the Keycode to Windows.

#5 gameroman

gameroman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

thank you very much for replying guys, i havent had time what you suggested until now. As I write this, im going to try and check the links you gave me.
Im using a friends computer now. Maybe I didnt explain myself clearly, since some of the answers you gave me said to go into SAFe mode which I cant, my laptop wont reboot in any mode. I will try to make the Repair Cds, the only thing i dont know is if I will need the Window XP Cd with the key codes, etc. because I dont have them, I got the computer as a gift and everything was already installed on it.

Thanks and if you have more suggestions, I would appreciate them.

#6 gameroman

gameroman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:34 AM

I cant do anything!!!!!

i made a compaq recovery tools cd from my friends computer, but i cant use it.. i dont know how!
i start my computer and it doesnt recognize it, i use an old window me startup disk to go into msdos so i can check the drives but from there i dont know what to do.. lots of files and none ring a bell..
I only got

1: 6 floppy disks with the recovery console (it doesnt work as i stated in the first posts)
2: compaq recovery tools cd (which i dont know how to use)
3: window me startup disk

My computer is XP so the win me floppy only works to get into the command prompt.

ARgggh.. if I knew what files are missing or whatever.. maybe i could copy them from the recovery tools cd... but thats just a guess...

I think i really really need a Windows XP installation CDrom... thats my only hope i guess...
but i dont wanna lose my data!... i dont have a backup..

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

I just want to speak to getting the data off of the hard drive. You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

For a laptop hard drive you will need an adaptor. Google "Laptop Harddrive Adapter" and you will find them for sale all over the internet.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

The best thing you can do is to contact Compaq (800-HP invent or 800-474-6836) and demand an installation disk that will either install XP (you will need your 25 digit key number which Compaq should provide as well), or a Compaq Restore disk to return your computer's software system state to the condition it was in when new (which will also need that 25 digit key). They will need your model number and serial number.

Any other fix would entail your being able to at least access the recovery console at a minimum, or the Compaq restore partition which may be hidden on your hard drive before the C partition.

Go to the following webpage and pick your model number from the list. There are several models of the Presario Laptop - choose the one you have.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la....x=0&submit.y=0

Then navigate to "setup and maintenance" and see if Compaq diagnostics can be accessed. Also navigate through the site to see if they give instructions on how to access the "Restore" function.

Also look at the bottom of your screen as it boots for instructions on which key to press to access Compaq functions.

Good luck.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 April 2006 - 11:18 AM.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Here's a simple 2.5 in to 3.5 in hard drive adapter:

Kinamax ADP-IDE23 Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter

You probably won't need a mounting bracket because you need only have the drive hooked up long enough to copy the files off your drive. You can leave hanging off the IDE ribbon cable as long as you don't move or bump it while it is powered up.

#10 gameroman

gameroman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:39 PM

Thanks guys I will try what you suggest.
Thanks for those who sent me PMs offering help also.
Ill keep you updated on my progress.
Bye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users