Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply, wireless network cards & TV tuner cards (first time build)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pietzki

Pietzki

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hi all,

yet another post by a first time builder... I've tried my best to do my research, but still have a few questions - some of which are probably ridiculously stupid. Other than considering how much power the graphics card needs, how do I work out which power supply to get? And does it make much of a difference whether I buy a PCI-e network card (wireless) or PCI - and while we're at it, how about tv tuner cards, PCI is probably good enough yeah?

Other than that, I guess I'm just looking for any feedback about the components I've picked and whether there are any obvious problems/shortcomings. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but will be playing GTA5 when it comes out and a few other games. I'm not fussed if I can't play at maximum graphics settings. Not looking to overclock. Just a simple low-ish budget gaming rig (not playing multiplayer fps etc).

Here's my part list so far:

• Processor - Intel BX80646I54570 i5-4570 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell
  • Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16G Kit(8Gx2) DDR3 1600
  • SSD - (obviously installing my OS on this - Win7) OCZ Vector 128G SATA3 SSD VTR1-25SAT3-128G
  • HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TBST2000DM001

The rest (case, power supply etc) is still undecided. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Miscellaneous stuff:

Any reason you cannot go a full size ATX board?  Not a big fan of the slot layout of the board you have selected.  The last PCI-E slot can have problems supporting some cards due to all of the connectors right underneath the slot.  A full size ATX board can have 4 PCI-E slots and a lot more room to use.  It comes in handy, trust me.  PCI slots are pretty much gone after this generation of boards so I trend towards PCI-E expansion cards.

Happy RAM.

SSD- Might go for another brand besides OCZ.  Crucial has always treated me right, Samsung Pro series (with latest firmware) is nice as well.  120/128 gig is the smallest I would consider.

Power supply- Partial to Corsair and Seasonic.  The good part about them is that there are no "duds" among those two brands, no matter the OEM.  Some Seasonic PSUs have a "coil whine" which my old ears don't detect (age and being a roadie in my youth have pretty much made anything above 16khz inaudible).

Other companies make great PSUs as well, on a case by case basis.  HardOCP, Hardware Secrets, and JonnyGuru have the most trustworthy and comprehensive reviews, plus Oklahoma Wolf is generally a fun read with his reviews.

Case- depends on you and your personal taste.  I like black cases, really black cases (hugs my Obsidian).  Some don't.  Some like riced out rigs with lot's of lights, some have taste.  It all depends.

Edited by dpunisher, 13 June 2013 - 09:58 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

What is your budget? Personally i'm a Coolermaster fan with their rugged military HAF series looking cases and i'm with dpunisher on the power supply brands.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

Killer, all up my budget is max $1100 excluding monitor & peripherals. And thanks for the advice, I'm still not sure about the power supply. Disregarding brand, I only know the graphics card needs a 500 watt power supply, so don't I also need to account for more power for the other components? Or am I completely misguided on how it works?

dpunisher, I didn't even realise until now that it was a smaller one, thanks for that! I was wondering about the PCI-E slots too..Do you have any model suggestions?

And for SSDs I relied purely on benchmarks.. Any reason you're not a fan of OCZ?

Thanks again guys

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi, I agree, Samsung or Intel for the SSD and Larger than 128Gb will come in handy. I have a 300Gb in my Desktop that has 50Gb free, This laptop has a 160Gb with 9Gb free. All Intel SSDs in use here. Two in Laptops and two in Desktops. I worry more about reliability than Speed.

When the video card maker says 500 Watt power supply, They do not mean that is what the card uses. They are saying that a 500 watt is larger enough to run the card and the computer.

Cheap power supplies do not hold up. Ditto for the full size motherboard.

I tend to like the clean simple look in cases with no glowing lights. The only light on my Desktop is the Hard Drive activity light. I even unplugged the power light, it was too bright.

Things I look for in a case:

1. enough front USB ports

2. USB 2 and USB3 ports.

3. 2.5inch bay(s) for the SSD drives

4. a 3.5 inch external drive bay to hold the media card reader.

5. Power supply mounts on top or a Large fan on the top of the case to exhaust heat.

6. Large and quiet fans

7. Location of the USB ports. The best location depends where the case will sit. If on the floor the Power button and USB ports should be on top.

if on the desktop, then lower down is OK.

8. User reviews for the case, is it flimsy or is the fit of the part sloppy?

The more USB3 ports overall, the better. These days I use USB3 for external drives and the USB2 ports are for the Keyboard and Mouse and older non USB3 external devices. I only buy USB3 storage devices these days.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Thanks a lot rotor, that explains a few things.. So as for the motherboard, how about the Asus H87-PRO instead? http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=11038

I had a look at power supplies, do you think a Corsair CMPSU-500CXV3 would do the trick? http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=9675

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks a lot rotor, that explains a few things.. So as for the motherboard, how about the Asus H87-PRO instead? http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=11038

I had a look at power supplies, do you think a Corsair CMPSU-500CXV3 would do the trick? http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=9675

The Asus H87 would be fine and 500W should be enough the 7850. Also MSY is a great place to shop at as they have the lowest price around, although i  personally shop online at PCCaseGear :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

The only thing I just noticed is that it's not on corsair's Haswell compatibility list.. I heard the Haswell's power saving mode can cause issues if the PSU is not compatible. And yeah I'm buying some parts from pscasegear and some from msy.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

The only thing I just noticed is that it's not on corsair's Haswell compatibility list.. I heard the Haswell's power saving mode can cause issues if the PSU is not compatible. And yeah I'm buying some parts from pscasegear and some from msy.

Well not really cause issue but you won't be able to use that super low power function in Haswell. 

>Michael 

#10 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Oh so is there a way to disable it? I can't remember where I read it but it said it can cause unwanted reboots in some cases..

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I had read that ultralow power state will be off by default on motherboards.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#12 Pietzki

Pietzki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all the feedback! I'll order my parts soon, watch another 3 hours of youtube tutorials and begin my first build. :)

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

I strongly recommend you watch the video below as it is shorter and much more concise.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users