Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pceu ransomware could not boot from usb/hitman?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ancient3

ancient3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi

My laptop is windows 8 pro Sony SVS1312P9EB.

Just to make you aware a many windows 8 laptops as mine now boot in uefi mode. This mode odes not have an mbr as it uses a gpt partition style.

I was infected by the pceu virus, and using guides on here and other places attempted to remove it.

I was unable to boot into any type of safe mode or system restore.

Many of the solutions then stated to boot from a usb rescue ( Kaspersky/hitman etc )

I made usb's using both but when trying to boot from them none of them would work? it would just say operating system not found.

I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with uefi boot mode.

If I was to go into the bios and change the boot option to legacy, it would then boot from the hitman usb and give the 3 options, but none of the options would work, I assume as they relate to mbr?

In the end, I took the laptop apart and removed the hard drive, plugged into a sata/usb adaptor and manually removed the infected files. 

This was a real pain to do. I have since checked and now it is all clear.

Can someone please tell me if this type of virus was to infect again, what would be the solution for booting from usb on uefi/gpt partition?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 June 2013 - 10:28 PM.
Moved to general AV forum and highlighted key question for easier comprehension. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users