Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can overclocking damage a computer?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

Hi computer people!

Can overclocking damage a computer?

If my computer was overclocked --

What would happen to a computer if you overclocked it to the maximum setting?

Could this be harmful?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Francis Houle_*

Guest_Francis Houle_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking#Disadvantages

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hi

An improperly configured overclocking can damage the CPU or graphics card. Another disadvantage is instability. Overclocked systems tend to crash and BSOD than a system working in stock clock speed.

I always advice my customers to save money and buy a high end CPU instead of stressing the system by over clocking. 

#4 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:36 AM

Overclocking has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages is that you can benefit from it because your CPU and GOU speed will increase however this would stress out your system faster than those system that was not overclocked. In short, it would shorten the lifespan of your computer. Although some who are experts on overclocking may disagree with that.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Overclocking can damage your computer or essentially fry that component if you increase the voltage super high.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

Francis Houle.
Hi Canada!

It seems there are disadvantages to doing this...

Anshad Edavana,
Hello India nice to see you.

I agree.
That is the most logical AND practical.

Anshad Edavana,

Another disadvantage is instability.

What do you mean by instability?

Overclocked systems tend to crash and BSOD than a system working in stock clock speed.

Wow -- I didn't know they could do this!!!! :wizardball:

Thanks Anshad.

aQuilla,
Hay There!

I'd like to talk with one of those experts or talk with someone who has and who has remembered the conversation:
I wonder how they would argue that it doesn't wear on the system?

killerx525,
Bleepin' Aussie!
Aye mate!

So Overclocking increases the voltage?
So can a computer start on fire.
And suddenly burst into flames -- when at maximum clock? :flame:

Captain Kirk

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

killerx525,

Bleepin' Aussie!
Aye mate!

So Overclocking increases the voltage?
So can a computer start on fire.
And suddenly burst into flames -- when at maximum clock? :flame:

When overclocking a CPU or GPU, if you want to find the maximum frequency the component can achieve, increasing the voltage from it's default will enable you to go further but if too much voltage is applied, it could fry the component. But also it will produce a lot more heat and higher power consumption. For example, my CPU is stock frequency is 3.2GHz, i only managed to overclock it to 3.8GHz but i had to slightly increase the voltage to stabilize it, so it wouldn't crash. I technically could possibly go higher but applying more voltage didn't help and that's when i know it's limit is reached with the hardware i have. The computer can't start on fire as the chip would automatically shut down to prevent damage or fire. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi James T Kirk

Overclocking has it's own advantages and disadvantages. More precisely speaking, on old systems with single core processors, you can achieve performance improvement by overclocking. But modern apps are coded to utilize today's multicore processors by executing several threads simultaneously on all cores.. On the other hand, overclocking a graphics card can improve the FPS of games. Most of them who are  overclocking their CPU only do it for enthusiasm.

If you are a gamer, you can overclock the GPU for more FPS. But before doing it yourself, you should research about the safe limits. There are dedicated sites there which teaches how to safely  overclock the system. For example - http://www.overclock.net/

On the other hand, if you are a professional CAD designer or animator who don't want to see a blue screen in the middle of the work, don't go for overclocking. Save money and buy a high end system instead. 

#9 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

killerx525,
What's up?
Croic'

A)If you OC a computer, you have to get a power cord/ power supply that has a higher voltage?

B)How did you increase the voltage on your computer?

C)How much voltage did you increase it?

D)So OC'ing can only increase a computer's capabilities by 1/2 GHz? 

NOTE: Do not apply too much voltage!
HIGH VOLTAGE, DO NOT TOUCH

Anshad Edavana,
hOW'S iT gOING mY mAN?

1) Can a multicore computer be OC'd ((O)ver ©locked)? :idea:

2) What specific types of damage can be caused by OC'ing a computer? :flamethrower:

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

a. Not exactly as you long you have a power supply that has adequate amount of wattage, and that is decent then it isn't necessary to get a new power supply.

b. I increased the voltage through the Bios. 

c. The stock voltage for my CPU was 1.475V and i increased it by 0.025V. 

d. No, every overclock is different. I managed to overclock 1.3GHz on a Intel i5-750 from 2.66GHz to 3.8GHz but i could get it to 4.1GHz but heat was becoming a issue.

In terms of your first question to Anshad, multicore CPUs can be overclocked like the one i have which is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, it has 6 cores.

>Michael 

#11 thomjones

thomjones

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:05 AM

Well, this can be really funny as it have advantage and disadvantage.. yeah it gives speed when your pc operates and at the same time generates so much heat for your PC and consume big electricity!

if this already happening to you better find way to heal it..like water cooling ;)

#12 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

killerx525
Thanx for the reply.
Oi!

a. You would consider a power supply that came stock with the computer to be "decent" enough to perform this operation?

b. Didn't know that. That's good to know. It sure makes things a whole lot easier.

c. So you took a wild guess as to the voltage increase, or you "experiemented"?
[I wouldn't have thought to increase it by such a minimal amount!!!: my board would have been fried at this point!]

d. Awesome -- a 75% increase in capabilities!!!!!!!!!!!
Whoo Hooo! Yippie I ya! :hysterical:
I can't wait to try this...

*Apparently multicore computers don't have any restrictions as to be able to OC them.

1. You didn't overclock your RAM?

2. You OC'ed your GPU 25%?

3. [CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14]
This sounds like a water system, am I right?

thomjones,
Hello person.

I once thought that water cooling systems were the best, or so it seemed.
However, just recently I read that if not done properly when you OC, your water cooling unit will not function as its supposed to.
Which can cause water condensation in your computer!!!

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Edited by James T Kirk, 16 June 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Overclocking is all about experimenting but there are obvious risks to it. I don't know what type of power supply you have but chances are that you won't be overclocking if its a prebuilt desktop from Dell, HP, Acer etc as they would usually limit the amount things you can change in the Bios. Well not every CPU can overclocked, at the moment, only Intel's "K" processors can be fully overclocked and AMD's FX line can be overclocked. 

1. Overclocking the ram is pointless as there is noticeable performance gain and you would be lucky if you got 1 or 2% increase.

2. Something like that but it's not 850mhz anymore, i got it up to 880mhz now.

3. No, it's a very larger air cooler.

topper.jpg

With your other questions, watercooling systems are not technically the best. The best would using LN2 aka Liquid Nitrogen which are mostly used in breaking world records and nobody use it to cool their CPUs on a daily basis. If you don't OC properly then you will instability and the water cooling unit will be still functioning normally, nothing to do with a improper OC. Water condensation would usually during the use of LN2.  

>Michael 

#14 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

killerx525,
Howdy!

killerx525

chances are that you won't be overclocking if its a prebuilt desktop from Dell, HP, Acer etc

Really. That's good to know. I wouldn't have expected that. Its nice that you told me!

1. That's what I heard: only a 50-100mb increase... Not worth it!!!!!!!!

2. Wow, are you kidding me??? You increased your GPU by less than 10%. I heard you can safely increase a GPU by at least 10-20%
Obviously your playing it overly safe or something, is that the reason?

3. Did you build your own computer from scratch or did you just add this as a custom fit order? Obviously this didn't come "stock" with your computer?

Only LNL huh? OK

killerx525

If you don't OC properly then you will instability and the water cooling unit will be still functioning normally

Good to know!!

A) [You said that water cooled systems are not the best]
Not counting LNL, are water cooled systems the best?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

1. Ram definitely not.

2. The stock clock speed was 800mhz and it was increased by 80mhz. If increase it by 5 more mhz, it would be unstable and crash during the testing stage. This indicates that i have reached my limit on the clock speed. You have to understand that every GPU or CPU will achieve different maximum overclocks, even if they are identical. Say i have 2 i7-3770k and i can only manage to overclock one of them to 4.2GHz and the second to 4.7GHz. Even though they are the same CPU, no chip is created equal and we would consider your luck on getting a chip that can achieve a high overclock to be the "Silicon Lottery".

3. Yes, i built my desktop from scratch.

Apart from LN2, watercooling would be the next best.  

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users