Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows could not configure windows to run on this computers hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Engywook

Engywook

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

OK this is day 3 for me tryin to figure out what the heck i need to do after trying many things-Heres the story.I have a hp Pavilion m6-1045dx laptop formatted the hard drive for fresh install of windows 7 using my retail copy of windows 7,after that I go to install win 7 and it gets almost done but gets to the configuring part and I get the message *Windows could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware*Is there something im missing or well what i dont know,the laptop worked fine before I did the format please gimme some direction here this thing is givin me a headache  :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

You can use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to completely overwrite the hdd.  

If you need help with this there is a tutorial which you can find here.

If this problem persists after this you should download the hdd manufacturer's diagnostic tool to see if there is a problem with it.

What prompted you to do a fresh installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Engywook

Engywook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

I just picked up this laptop from a friend who needed cash and formatted it to get it like a completely new laptop and after formatting now this is where I am,I did wonder about the hdd so i removed it from the laptop hooked it up to my desktop and did a complete install of windows 7 and it worked fine on my desktop but it will not work on the laptop 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Edited by dc3, 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Engywook

Engywook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I am aware of the issues of attempting to do that kind of swap that is why i did not do that after verifying that the hdd worked i then formatted it i did not attempt to put the hdd in the laptop with that install of windows that i did on my desktop lol i formatted it before retrying another install of windows on the laptop-i only did the install of win7 on my desktop to verify that the hdd was ok.

#6 Engywook

Engywook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

another thing i didnt mention was that the bios is uefi i was thinking that this may have something to do with the issues im having

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users