Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External NTFS Hardrive Suddenly Becoming RAW

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikebuyco

mikebuyco

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have a Buffalo External Hard drive that is 500 GB. It was working fine last sunday. After a few minutes I went into the internet cafe and plug it in. What happened was the hard drive suddenly requires Format. I didn't format the drive as I didn't want to lose all my files in it. I tried it again with different PCs and the result is the same. It requires format. I'm using Windows 7.

Here's what I did first. I tried running the command prompt with administrator rights and accessing it via ms dos but I still can't access it. So I used the command chkdsk /f to fix it. It took a while but it did not complete, it stoppped at 98% it was saying about unable to read for the remaining sectors.

I tried using EASUS Data Recovery and I couldn't retrieve a single file in hours.

I browsed online to get answers and I found James post: http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I followed the steps using parted magic. I can see my files on the when I performed quick search on test disk and pressing "P" but when I performed a deep search it stops at 0% saying unable to read sector : 263/25/63/. I'm not sure about the exact numbers

I've also checked the external using health status in the parted magic and it has the exclamation Icon which would say the NTFS is damaged. 

Thank you for taking the time reading this. I really need help on this. Thanks

Edited by mikebuyco, 12 June 2013 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikebuyco

mikebuyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:49 AM

I just want to update that I can't use chkdsk and it says that it's because it's RAW. Please help. :(

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

CHKDSK error message - The type of the filesystem is RAW - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm

RAW Hard Drive - http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

Louis

#4 mikebuyco

mikebuyco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Hi, I have followed both links but when I run z a recovery it just can't finish because it can't read some sectors. Mostly of the sectors it's showing are bad sectors. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users