Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a case with power supply for only HDD's. Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RoccoT

RoccoT

• Validating
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi folks, I'm trying to figure out a solution that simple enough in theory has turned into something way more complicated.

I have a main desktop PC with a new internal RAID card. I've simply run out of space inside my computer for additional hard drives (i'd like to setup 8 drives in raid). What I was hoping was to build another case with just a power supply and run 2 SAS - 4 sata fan out cables from inside the main computer to the Raid case. Since the power supply needs to be attached to a motherboard to turn on, what would be the best option for this? I've seen posts where people are putting jumpers in the main motherboard cable. Or I was thinking of just installing an older motherboard and plugging into that so that when I turn on the computer it starts up the power to all the internal hard drives.

The ideal scenario would be no second motherboard, just the case, power supply and 8 drives. Have the power supply communicate somehow with the main computer and it would power on whenever the other PC powers up.

If you have any suggestions on this please let me know!

Cheers.

Edited by RoccoT, 12 June 2013 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Would it not just be simpler...to buy a larger, new case...with more room?

Louis

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hi

I have no experience with SAS but running a power supply on it's own is not a big deal. Simply shorting the Green wire (PS_ON ) with any of the black wire (Ground ) will power up any computer SMPS. Here is my idea. I am not sure how practical it is.You can use a relay or an optocoupler to electronically short the green and black pins to sync the power on between system SMPS and secondary SMPS.  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 June 2013 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users