Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access repair option on winxp home cd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reckless abandon

reckless abandon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

How do I do this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

What are you wanting to "repair"?

What makes you think that whatever is wrong with your system...can be cured by "repairing" whatever?

Does the system boot into Windows now?

Louis

#3 reckless abandon

reckless abandon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Loius.Thanks for your reply

1) Just about everything

2)Pure hope

3) oh yes but everything is not right since I paid a fortune for albion global to fix a few probs and everything went different and I lost loads of things including my address book (since cancelled it for a partial refund). My first question to them was to fix Mozilla Thunderbird which had gone crazy. There were a few other things as well such as Spybot picking up Microsoft Security Essentials overriding anti virus. Anyway, I didn't like the idea of theirtotal control over my PC while they were fixing it

4) System boots into windows ok

5) I think I'm gonna go for a complete fresh install but then I have another problem. Since my CD has SP2 on it & the PC is upgraded to SP3. Setup tells me I can't do it because the version of windows on the computer is newer than on the CD!!!!! which I'm presuming is down to SP3. However, it then proceeds to continue with setup!!!  I then cancel setup. I don't know whether to uninstall SP3 before I run the setup properly then reinstall it after the fresh install. I can't do anything yet because I haven't finished backing up my data.

Thanks again

Rob

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

You asked how to access the repair option and then later state you want to do a fresh install.

What do you mean by fresh install? Do you want to wipe out everything and start over from the beginning? Do you simply want to restore Windows system files? A repair will not delete your personal files and program files. At least it shouldn't but something could go wrong and you might lose them. Before you do anything finsih backing up what you don't want to lose.

You should also have your Windows XP key handy just in case you need it.

Only you can decide whether to do a repair or a clean install.

For a repair install and the message you are receiving read this from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users