Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion DV2500 not starting - nada

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 strope411

strope411

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

This forum has saved me in the past and I am hoping that it will help me again.  I have a HP Pavilion DV2500 running windows vista.  Recently it has been shutting off sporadically; I assumed it was overheating since it seemed very hot and I did not hear a fan running.  Cleaned out all of the vents, removed the ram and cleaned its connections, and also removed the HDD and tried to reboot.  Nada.  The computer won't even come on at all.  The lights along the the top scroll are on (power, dvd, volume, etc) and the front led light signally power is on.  Also the light that shows that the track-pad is active is glowing blue like normal.  But no noise from the HDD, fan, and no display.  It would still turn on until I cleaned out the vents using duster spray.

Totally confused and concerned about my HDD contents.  

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

It's not wise to blow compressed air from cans into vents; it blows the dust into the lap interior, not out of it. Sometimes those cans will cause condensation on the object they are blowing on, also not a good thing. Let the unit sit overnight, try to boot again in the AM. If no go, it will have to be opened up to see what happened. Possibly a connector came loose from the force of the air stream.  As far as your hard drive, get a laptop HD to external USB adapter (try Newegg.com), connect it to your lap HDD and plug into a desktop USB port. You should be able to pull your data off that way. Something like THIS (be sure to read the user reviews for added tips).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

So any tips on what I might do to get the laptop started?  It was starting until I used the compressed air. It is now getting power, just nothing is happening.

#4 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

I will be taking it apart today.  Is there a schematic available for a step by step guide on how to disassemble the unit.  You guys sent me one before for a Toshiba notebook and it was great, very visual and simple.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hi

Yes, there is official maintenance manual available which explains the dis-assembly procedures step by step.

Here is the link - http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295820.pdf

Based on the symptoms you described, i suspect a Nvidia chipset failure. Your model is notoriously famous for this complaint.

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/300932/hp_still_getting_heat_nvidia_graphics_chips/

#6 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

After leaving it unplugged all night, I plugged the charger back in and it actually turned on.  I can barely hear the fan.  Did a couple of quick tasks and put it in hibernation mode.  Wouldn't wake up, waited over two hours, and shut it down.  Then retried and it is restarting.  still seems very warm.

#7 strope411

strope411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Is there a way to check to see if the fan is operational?  Or at least check the temperature of the computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users