Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple Photo Editing/Printing from Cloud

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mdb1997

mdb1997

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Trying to help solve a problem for my 70-something parents who live in a small town without a lot of local computer expertise.  What I need is the computer equivalent of the Jitterbug phone. 

I'm leaning towards setting them up with a Chromebook (or similar) system to meet their very basic needs (email, browsing/shopping, word processing, and printing pictures of their children/grandchildren.)

I've figured out everything except for the photo-printing.  Is there a relatively pain-free way to print photo quality pictures using a cloud-based service? (assuming I go with Chromebook) 

I've considered a printer that can print directly from Snapfish, Facebook, etc., but I'm concerned about the small touch screen interfaces I've seen on them. 

I could also have them save the pictures to memory stick/SD card, then work directly with the printer, but the small touch screen interface problem comes up again.

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Trying to help solve a problem for my 70-something parents who live in a small town without a lot of local computer expertise.  What I need is the computer equivalent of the Jitterbug phone. 

I'm leaning towards setting them up with a Chromebook (or similar) system to meet their very basic needs (email, browsing/shopping, word processing, and printing pictures of their children/grandchildren.)

I've figured out everything except for the photo-printing.  Is there a relatively pain-free way to print photo quality pictures using a cloud-based service? (assuming I go with Chromebook) 

I've considered a printer that can print directly from Snapfish, Facebook, etc., but I'm concerned about the small touch screen interfaces I've seen on them. 

I could also have them save the pictures to memory stick/SD card, then work directly with the printer, but the small touch screen interface problem comes up again.

Thanks for the help.

If you are intent on going with a Chromebook and the ONLY need to print pictures, then the easiest way might be to print those photos using an online photo service. For example, you mentioned Snapfish...they could use that to print photos that are then mailed to them...but there are many other services. If there have a local "national" brand drug store (i.e. Walmart, RiteAid, CVS, etc), then they could print from their computer to that store that they then pick up. I believe those national brand drug stores also ship pictures to home addresses, but I could be wrong.

If they also need/want the ability to print documents and/or want to print pictures are home, then you likely would want to look at getting a Google Cloud Print ready printer:

http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/printers.html#

They could also then still using online photo services as well for "special" photos.

If you are looking at something other than a Chromebook, then it will depend by way you meant by "or similar". Just about any device will tend to work with online photo services. Dealing with a local printer will depend on the device.

#3 mdb1997

mdb1997
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:43 PM

Thanks smax.  Drugstores aren't an option...anything of that sorts is over an hour away, but you're right that they are an option for the "special" photos.

However, while digging into the cloud print option I did find Kodak Email Print Service, which claims to print any .jpgs to the photo tray as opposed to the paper tray.  I'll have to look into that service, as my parents would be able to just forward an email with the photo to their printer.

And by Chromebook (or similar), I was refering to a relatively basic system that won't require a lot of maintenance to keep it running quickly.  My poor mother says booting her computer takes 10 minutes, so we started talking about a new computer which led me down the path of how to avoid this same problem in a few years.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Thanks smax.  Drugstores aren't an option...anything of that sorts is over an hour away, but you're right that they are an option for the "special" photos.

I kind of figured this might be the case...you get into small enough towns and they will not have major drug stores.

But, do keep in mind that many online photo services (including drug stores) will ship to your home. So, they may not get instant gratification, but they also would not need to drive an hour.

However, while digging into the cloud print option I did find Kodak Email Print Service, which claims to print any .jpgs to the photo tray as opposed to the paper tray.  I'll have to look into that service, as my parents would be able to just forward an email with the photo to their printer.

There are a number of options out there. HP has an ePrint service that is on some of their network connected printers. I played with it a little bit on a friend's printer when helping them set it up.

https://h30495.www3.hp.com/help/about

I am sure other brands of printers have similar services.

Also, take a look at the Google Cloud Print that I linked to. I would assume you would be able to print both "regular" documents as well as photos with that.

The other option is a dedicated little photo printer. My mom has one. She ONLY uses it with a memory card from her traditional digital camera...it is NOT hooked to her computer at all. You can get them with larger LCD displays for viewing the photos and other controls. My mom is able to use it just fine and she is rather far from being "tech literate". The only wrinkle these days is that she is starting to use her iPhone for pictures (we finally convinced her to go to a smartphone in the last year).

And by Chromebook (or similar), I was refering to a relatively basic system that won't require a lot of maintenance to keep it running quickly.  My poor mother says booting her computer takes 10 minutes, so we started talking about a new computer which led me down the path of how to avoid this same problem in a few years.

We have basically covered Chromebooks in terms of printing (you can also do printing to a non-Google Cloud Printing ready printer if you also have a "traditional" computer hooked to that printer). I will certainly agree that the major advantage of dealing with a Chromebook is that there is less chance of "things" (i.e. malware, bloatware, etc) happening to a Chromebook. Thus, for less "technically inclined" people, they can be a good choice to help them minimize their hassle factor. This, of course, assumes you can live with the shortcomings of a Chromebook (i.e. less local storage, less options for programs/applications, more of a hassle for printing, etc).

Going to a Windows computer (or maybe a Mac) will make printing easier overall, but then you have the issues associated with a "full blown" computer (i.e. need anti-virus, higher chance of something getting borked in the OS, etc). Of course, since your parent's are likely familiar with Windows, that would be an advantage to just getting another Windows computer (unless that computer has Windows 8 on it, of course :D ).

Using some sort of tablet is basically in the same general ballpark as a Chromebook in terms of printing. For an Android tablet, you would want a Google Cloud Printing ready printer, while for an iPad you would want an AirPrint compatible printer. I honestly don't know how well either will work for printing photos (i.e. can you select a photo paper tray rather than the "regular" paper tray).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users