Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Windows 8 backup on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kRaYzRaY

kRaYzRaY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie poster here but have utilized the great pool of knowledge that is bleepingcomputer.com for many years. I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice. Here goes:

I downgraded from Windows 8 back to Windows 7 for reasons that many can agree with (but we won't get into that here.) I made a full disk backup using the native Windows 8 backup tool. I then reinstalled Windows 7 and went to restore those backups, not realizing that Windows 8 utilizes the new .vhdx format... A format to which Windows 7 says "what the hell is that!?" So now how do I attach, mount, or otherwise just get access to my backed up virtual drives? I've searched a little for  a vdhx to vdh converter, but only found one on Server 2012 (which I do not have access to). Ideas? Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have a kind of idea (there may be simpler ways that I've not thought of yet)...

Maybe you could run a temporary copy of Windows 8 in a virtual machine, and use that to extract your data from the vhdx file?.

This shows how to user Virtualbox to create a windows 8 VM http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/3424635/install-windows-8-on-virtual-pc-with-virtualbox/  Once installed you should be able to attach the vhdx as a second hard disk on the VM or just mount it as an extra drive using windows 8 functionality. The example uses the Win8 eval, but as you have a copy of Win8 you should be able to use that.

Once you have access to your data in the VM, you can used the shared drive functionality in virtual box to mount a folder of the host pc within the Virtual machine and copy your data out. (or you could use  windows networking from the VM to the host, or mount a usb drive through USB device virtualisation in Virtualbox to receive your data)

A bit complicated, and I don't know the processes well enough to talk you though click by click, but if you don't find a simpler solution (and your PC has enough memory and spare hard disk to temporarily run the tempoeraty VM) , this should be the bones of a way to get at your data.

Edited by x64, 12 June 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi

Converting VHDX to VHD is only possible from a Win8 or Server 2102 system. The suggestion by x64 is the only possible way i can think.

If your data is stored in a separate partition, you won't be in this situation now. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users