Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down And Doesn't Go Off Completely

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GlambertAngel

GlambertAngel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hello.

I'm not sure if what I just posted for the title makes sense. For starters, my computer is a Dell Latitude D610. It has Windows XP Professiona on it, but I don't know the exact edition because I don't know exactly what year the computer is from. These are the specs:

Size: 14"

Hardware: Hard drive, CD Burner / DVD ROM drive, 

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 2.00GHz

RAM: 1024 MB

The problem started when I placed a blank recordable CD into the drive to burn some video files into it, as files, of course. I'd burned 2 CD's before then. I tried to restart the computer because I don't know what error I got, but it wouldn't restart. I tried shutting it down. It had some updates to install so I got prompted to install updates and then shut down. I did. The computer shut down, but instead of going off like it usually does, it showed me a pretty blue screen (not a BSOD, just a blank blue screen) and it wouldn't turn off completely, so what I did was press the button so that it would turn off. My question is, OK, I've heard if one turns off the computer without shutting it down too many times, it damages the hard drive, and sure enough, that's what I would do with a Dell Inspiron Mini 1010 computer I had every time I got a BSOD because I didn't know how else to get out of a BSOD, and the hard drive got damaged. Every new program I would install on that other computer would disappear, programs couldn't uninstall, the integrated webcam stopped working, it was a mess. My question is, will the hard drive be damaged if one turns off the computer incorrectly only once and never does it again? It's the first time I've ever done this in the 30 days I've had this computer and I did it because I didn't know any other way to get the computer to turn off completely.

Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

...what you did, or a power failure or unplugging it without battery backup does not per se damage the hard drive, but the file system on it - run check disk

open "my computer" - RIGHT click system drive (usually "C") - properties - "tools" tab - option to check for errors - check both boxes - yes - reboot...

give it as long as it takes - DO NOT STOP COMPUTER WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING

...it will reboot when it's done...

...in the future to get out of blue screen try "escape" key - sometimes it works...

Edited by Dolby, 12 June 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#3 GlambertAngel

GlambertAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

...what you did, or a power failure or unplugging it without battery backup does not per se damage the hard drive, but the file system on it - run check disk

open "my computer" - RIGHT click system drive (usually "C") - properties - "tools" tab - option to check for errors - check both boxes - yes - reboot...

give it as long as it takes - DO NOT STOP COMPUTER WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING

...it will reboot when it's done...

...in the future to get out of blue screen try "escape" key - sometimes it works...

Thank you so much for what I feel was a lightning-fast reply. Wow, that's amazing. I posted this less than 5 minutes ago.

Thanks for the help. I will perform a check disk right now, and I will try to not do this again, but of course if it's a random power failure I can't help it, but no, I won't press the button again.

#4 GlambertAngel

GlambertAngel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

I posted a reply but I edited it out and replaced it with this because there was something in Dolby's post I'd overlooked. Thanks for the help, guys.

Edited by GlambertAngel, 12 June 2013 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users