Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pinned folder to taskbar, can't stop windows explorer from popping up.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Artemisia

Artemisia

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello. I'm an older-in-age computer user. I don't like windows libraries (I've removed them with a registry hack) for various reasons - the first being I ended up not backing up my photos (and consequently losing them) because I was backing up a library. Annoying, and it is gone (or at least I hope so).

I want to be able to open a folder immediately from my taskbar. I blog a lot, and being able to quickly get to my pictures folder is a time and grief saver. I pinned the folder to my taskbar (with that "create notepad doc, change to .exe, drag to taskbar, change target property hack). All well and good.

Except when I click on the folder, that damn windows explorer pops up next to it! I don't want that. I just want to click on the folder and get to THAT folder. Plain and simple.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get windows explorer to stop popping up on my taskbar, especially for folders that I've already pinned to the taskbar?

See screenshots.

Screenshot 1: Shows the properties of the pinned folder. I didn't change the icon yet.

Screenshot 2: Shows windows explorer popping up in taskbar when I click the pinned folder. Not necessary.

Attached File  1.jpg   136.33KB   5 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   113.79KB   5 downloads

Thanking you in advance for your help!

So confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

HI Artemisia,

I may be missing something in my understanding, but isn't that what you would expect ?  If, for example, you were to use Irfanview to look at an image and click on 'File/Open' you get the 'Open file' dialogue box which is just a potted Windows Explorer view, and you navigate to the folder containing the image you want.

Here, you already have the folder you want, so you get the Windows Explorer view of the contents of the folder so you can select the file you want. If I interpret your second screen shot correctly, the folder you have pinned to the taskbar contains other folders as well as files, and that is what the screenshot reflects.

If my interpretation of what is happening is correct, the system is trying to help you - not get in your way !  Loved the recycle bin icon !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users