Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I screwed up...Gringo-pr please help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#16 Oh My!

Oh My!

Adware and Spyware and Malware.....

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 37,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi Ronda,

Music to me eyes! You are most welcome for the assistance but don't forget it took both of us. :) I am not familiar with Free Internet Tuner which I guess is good? The only thing I would caution you about is being careful not to allow the sneaky little programs they try to install (like toolbars).

I will address all the clutter on your desktop and provide recommendations for your consideration, but first.....

Now that your computer is running well it is my great pleasure to proclaim to you the Good News!

===================================================

All Clean

--------------

Your machine appears to be clean. Please take the time to read below on how to secure the machine and take the necessary steps to keep it clean :thumbsup:

Please do the following to remove some of the tools we used during our time together: Following this step you may remove any other remaining tools or logs.

Delete the tools used during the disinfection:
  • Press windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time. In the run box type combofix /uninstall, then press OK.

run-box.jpg

• This will remove Combofix and other tools we used from your computer.
Lawrence Abrams, the founder of BleepingComputer.com, has developed an excellent tutorial which will provide you with the information you need to know to keep your computer secure and clean. Please take the time to read: Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet.

In addition, here are some more links you might find of interest:I will leave this topic open for just a day or so in case you have any further issues then it will be closed shortly thereafter.

Thank you for placing your trust in BleepingComputer. It was a pleasure serving you. OhMy_done.gif
Gary

If I do not reply within 24 hours please send me a Personal Message.

"May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi Gary,

Thank you for the All Clear message...it sure was good to see.

I tried the Press windows key Windows_Logo_key.gif + r on your keyboard at the same time. In the run box type combofix /uninstall, then press OK...I got a box that said "Windows cannot find______/uninstall. Make sure to check the spelling & try search again. Search for file, click start button& the search. ( the underline is a fill in the blank & I tried to use Combofix, TFC & FRST...all got the above message)...I also checked the REVO uninstaller list & they do not appear there either...these icons on my desktop are mainly .exe files only the ESET Smart Installer shows up in Revo.

Are any of these programs something I should keep & run from time to time in the future?

Also, I quickly looked over the list of links sent...since I already have an anti-virus (Microsoft Secutity Essentials), a firewall & Malware Bytes running to protect my computer along with Secunia PSI running to keep things updated, much of those links didn't seem to answer my question of "Are there any other programs that you think that I should or shouldn't use in the future?"...it seemed to be a blanket response rather than an answer based on your knowledege of my computer through our discussion & the multiple logs you've seen & analyzed....perhaps you are not allowed to make such personalized recommendations through the website, or don't want the responsibility of making those kinds of recommendations.

Nevertheless your help has been invaluable!  My husband was telling me to get a new computer (that we couldn't afford) rather than fix this one. Thanks for helping me to not have to follow his advise.

Sincerely,

Ronda

#18 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi Ronda,

If the Combofix icon is still on your desktop rename it to Uninstall then double click it to see if that launches the uninstall process. The other programs you can just right click and select Delete. There is no installation associated with those.

In your case I think you have covered most of the bases and the most important thing is preventative measures. That is what much of the information pertains to.

One thing you are doing that is very good is staying on top of the updates. Constantly updating programs slams the door on many vulnerabilities malware writers count on to infect your computer. Temporary File Ceaner is good to use periodically since the volume of temp files built up over time can slow down a computer.

You are doing great! Keep it up. I shall not comment on the husband/wife dynamics. :)

Gary
Gary

"May you be richly rewarded by the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge."

#19 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hi Gary,

I followed your instructions, "If the Combofix icon is still on your desktop rename it to Uninstall then double click it to see if that launches the uninstall process."

When I double clicked on it it wanted to run Combofix...I hit run thinking that there would be an uninstall option...there was not & Combofix started to run...I pressed ctrl + alt + delete & stopped it mid run. & closed it...I don't know what to do next...combofix will not uninstall (even if renamed).

Sincerely,

Ronda

#20 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Oh, I firgot to mention that today the yahoo sender had another failure notice when they tried to send me another meassage...I guess that I will have to contact Verizon to see if they can figure out why this is happening.

Ronda

#21 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hi Ronda,

Not surprised with the failure notice.  I don't think we had control over it and therefore nothing we did would fix it.

Go ahead and try Combofix again.  It may look like it is installing but it is really uninstalling.

Let me know how it goes.

Gary

#22 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hi again Gary,

So I thought that I had turned off Combofix, but then I got a warning message box to turn off Microsoft Security Essentials...so I turned off the computer for a few minutes & restarted & now it looks like ComboFix's run has been stopped...Am I still ok?

Sincerely,

Rondatm

#23 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

If the icon is still on the desktop relaunch the uninstall.

Gary

#24 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Hi Ronda,

Did that work OK?

Gary

#25 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hi Ronda,

How are we doing? Did Combofix uninstall properly?
Gary

#26 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi Gary,

I have been away from the computer for a couple of days.

So I am stuck about getting ComboFix uninstalled from my computer...you said to "rename it to Uninstall then double click it to see if that launches the uninstall process."

When I did that last time it looked like it was running the Combofix program not uninstalling...I have been short on time & a little afraid to continue...but I guess that you will help if ComboFix runs & doesn't uninstall...so I will give it another try within the hour. (I have a couple of things to do before I can sit down & give the computer my attention...I'll report back later today after I give it a go. 

Thanks for sticking with me Gary!

Sincerely,

Rondatm

#27 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

OK, take your time. I am more concerned about your family matters and your computer than I am speeding this along. Just wanted to make sure the computer didn't blow up! :)

Yes, let it run and don't worry.
Gary

#28 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi Gary,

I reviewed the log that we have created & realized that when I did the windows symbol button + r removal  for ComboFix removal, I did not leave a space between the x & the / when I filled in the box that popped up (did ComboFix/uninstall instead of ComboFix /Uninstall).

So I tried it again after turning off Microsoft Security Essentials, Malware & my firewall & was successful!     :bananas:   You were absolutely correct...the box that popped up was extracting files (not running the program as I feared).       

I still have a file on the desktop from Rogue Killer...the RK Quarintine file...should I right click on it & choose delete to get rid of it?

I also still have Adware Cleaner &  Eset Smart Installer on my desktop...are these something I should run from time to time (like the TFC) or should I uninstall or right click these as well?

Making progress!

Sincerely,

Rondatm

#29 Oh My!

Oh My!

• 37,457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

Very good. Yes, simply right click and select delete.

You can run ESET and Adaware periodically but you need the most recent versions. So delete them and download them again later.

Is everything else still well?
Gary

#30 rondatm

rondatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi Gary,

As I mentioned, I haven't been at the computer much the last few days, but YES things seem to be running well now (except for the email failures from that 1 person...I will get in touch with Verizon Tech support tomorrow to see if I can resolve it).

I am so grateful for your expertise, help & support.

I am so glad to have found Bleeping Computer's website!

Sincerely,

Rondatm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users