Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reboot in Windows 7 after installing new monitor & replacing battery

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sharmaly

sharmaly

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:24 AM

My computer:

Acer AM3970-UR14P

Came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and I immediately upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel i5 3450

AMD Radeon HD 7570 1024 mb

Problems that have been happening for a while:

• when I unplug the computer the date and time reset and it has some problems restarting
    • a friend told me this is probably because the lithium battery on my motherboard is dead and needs to be replaced
  • hibernate mode has never worked worked (never tried with original OS)
    • online troubleshooting identified problem could be related to the video card it was then that I realized my computer didn’t recognize the video card. I tried downloading the driver from AMD but couldn’t and when I contacted AMD they said I had to contact Acer to get the driver. I never followed up because I hate dealing with Acer. They just yell at me and tell me anything is my fault because I upgraded the OS and they don’t want to help with with anything unless I default to factory settings and start from scratch.
  • computer doesn’t recognize the video card
    • besides the hibernation problem above, which may or may not be related to the video card I had a problem when I installed a new Samsung 24B350HL monitor on June 11, 2013.  I was unable to optimize the screen resolution to what it should be for the monitor. Looked like monitor thought I just had VGA video card but I was using HDMI cable.
  • I had a problem that I thought was a virus a while ago and went through all the steps suggested by bleeping computer.com and after that the computer seemed restored to previous state (still with hibernation and problem with unplugging the computer) See the following link to output from that troubleshooting process:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/490169/i-can-hear-someone-else-typing-on-my-computer/

June 11th:

1. Connected new monitor: Samsung 24B350HL
  2. Noticed I couldn’t optimize so I Installed driver and some of the software that came with the computer hoping that would solve the problem even though I suspected it was due to the video card.
  3. Other than the screen optimization problem and previous problems mentioned above, the computer was working fine
  4. Then I installed the last software program from the Samsung disc: Samsung Mon Setup, which is supposed to help you adjust your monitor with keyboard and mouse rather than using the buttons on the monitor.  I was told I needed to restart my computer after installation. Instead of restarting I shut down because I was leaving for a while
  5. When I came back to my computer I decide to replace the battery on the motherboard before rebooting. I happened to have the right battery at home so I replaced the battery and tried to reboot
  6. Was unable to reboot. Tried booting from hard disc in BIOS (not sure I did that right), didn’t work. Unable to start windows in safe mood. Self-repair did not work (several attempts). One of the logs after self-repair said that the problem was related with a recently installed program or driver. Tried system restore to a date prior to June 11th with no success.  

I gave up for now and am desperate for help but I don’t want to call Acer yet. I’m worred that I’ll have to restore it to original and then it will take me days to install everything and fix a problem I had previously resolved with my photos that was a pain in the *&#$%.

I hope someone may be able to help me with a solution other than restoring to factory defaults and starting from scratch.

I took photos of the output from the repair process that I could post if necessary. Working on my old laptop for now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

After replacing a CMOS battery...the first thing that you need to do is enter the BIOS/Setup...and reset the date/time data on the main screen.  Then elect to to restore all default values.  Save the changes by hitting F10 and see if some of the problems disappear.

I trust that the new CMOS battery was new, not used.  If a CMOS battery is lying around and it's not in packaging...chances are it came from another system where it may have been a problem.

Louis

#3 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

Yes, the battery was new.

I had previously updated date and time in BIOS. Just now I chose F9  to load optimized defaults. Unfortunately this made made no difference :(

Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions out there?

#4 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I called Acer technical support. I don't know why they even call it that. They don't even try to troubleshoot their only suggestion is that they will help you restore your system to factory defaults :'( 

I hope there is another solution.

#5 JHan816

JHan816

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

When replacing a battery the CMOS memory gets scrambled. Sometimes, even the BIOS setup program fails to clear it properly. When you set to optimal defaults in the BIOS setup, you are saving using (F10)?

Something to try:

There is a clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard near the SATA connectors. It is a three pin header with a jumper block. Normally it is in position on pins 2 and 3. Moving it to position on pins 1 and 2 for a few seconds clears CMOS memory. It is at reference 21 on the attached image. Attached File  motherboard.jpg   30.13KB   6 downloads There are two jumpers there make sure it is the at reference 21. It should be labeled on the motherboard in white letters as C_MOS.

Sometimes you have to remove the cmos battery and then move the jumper for a while (20 seconds) to clear it out.

Be sure and run the BIOS setup again and set to optimal defaults after clearing.

I hope this helps, be careful.

--John

Edited by JHan816, 13 June 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#6 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks John,

I tried the both ways that you suggested because it didn't work the first time. I did experience one new thing each time:

·         After clearing the CMOS memory when I turned on my PC I pressed delete to enter BIOS.

·         But instead of taking me to bios it showed a screen with some information. That's hasn't happened previously.I tried to attach a photo of the screen but I can't figure out how to do that on here. This is what it said for the most part:

Big American Megatrends logo at the top

D-Cache L1 Size: 32 KB x4

Cache L2 Size: 256 KB x4

Cache L3 Size: 6144 KB

Dual Channel Mode

Total Memory: 8192MG (DDR3 1333)

USB Devices total: 3 keyboard, 1 mouse, 5 MASS, 2 HUBS

USB MASS #0: Generic-Compact

.  (didn't feel like typing all this and i think it is not important)

USB MASS #4 . . . 

Detected ATA/ATAPI Devices . . .

SATA PORT0: WDC WD20EARX-22PASB0, S.M.A.R.T Supported

SATA PORT4: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GM70N

Error: CMOS checksum error

Press <F1> Continue

Press <Del> Enter BIOS Setup

Does this mean i was at least successful at clearing the CMOS memory??

Here is what happened next:

·         The computer was then unresponsive while it was on that screen even though it said I could press Del to continue to BIOS.

·         I turned it off and on again.

·         The second time I was able to enter BIOS successfully.

·         In BIOS I reset the date and time, restored BIOS to default values and then Saved and Exited.

·         When I tried to reboot I wasn't able to (by starting windows normally or launching Startup Repair).

·         I made my way to the system restore option and restored to June 8th. 

·         It said that it was restored but when I restarted I was still not able to reboot. 

Thanks for your help and any recommendations other than restoring to factory defaults would be great. I'm still hoping there will be another option but my optimism is running out. 

Thank you :-)

#7 JHan816

JHan816

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

There may be a "silent mode" setting  in the BIOS that does not display the splash screen logo and other information Or, that is what it does when memory is cleared and it initalizes.

It seems like you did clear memory it when you got that checksum error. That error should not repeat once you set the BIOS and save.

What does it display when trying to boot and it fails? How far does it get in the boot process?

About attaching files... Click on "More Reply Options" at the bottom to the right of the Post button. It will open up to a larger screen and file attach will be at the bottom.

Glad to help,

-- John

#8 JHan816

JHan816

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Another thought, have you checked and reseated cables, especially the hard drive sata cables? You might have bumped one loose when taking it apart for the battery.

Check at the motherboard end and hard drive end.

#9 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

When it tries to boot I just get a black screen and at the bottom it tells me to either click Delete to enter BIOS or F12 to Display Boot menu. If I do nothing it tries to start windows then returns to the black screen then takes me to Windows Error Recovery where I have two options: Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. If I do nothing at this stage it automatically starts Startup Repair. I've previously described what I usually do from that point. Startup repair never works and doesn't take very long.

The Problem details read:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01:6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02:6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03:unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200002

Problem Signature 05:AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06:18

Problem Signature 07:BadDriver

OS Version:  6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I'm positive I didn't loosen any wires while removing the battery. I hypothesize that this driver issues is either related to the samsung monitor driver I installed independent of or in relation to the fact that when i upgraded from Home Premium to Professional the video card driver was no longer compatible. If I asked Acer to send me the correct driver is there any way to install it on the pc when I can't boot up? like using the command prompt??  I'm just a novice user so my theory probably isn't right but I always have a theory. It's so frustrating to not understand why something like this happened.

Thanks again for your help

#10 JHan816

JHan816

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Does it respond to entering safe mode? (tapping F8 at startup).  Then the installed monitor/video driver will not be used and it uses a basic vga driver.

#11 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

F8 does take me to a screen where I can select safe mode (or other options). However, safe mode doesn't actually work. After I select Safe Mode some things flash by on the screen and then I just end up back at the black screen with the BIOS and Boot menu options and then redirected to the Boot menu and repair process.

#12 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

By the way I am using the new monitor with this old laptop of mine. Instead of installing the driver from the CD that came with it this time I downloaded it from the Samsung website. Haven't had any problems on this computer (running XP Pro).

#13 JHan816

JHan816

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

It seems like a corrupt operating system file on the hard drive to me. My Acer laptop has a built in utility called eRecovery Management that lets you either restore the whole thing back factory (losing all your stuff) or just restore/repair the operating system without wiping user data.

Most computers now have this since they do not include a restore CD. The factory image is usually in a separate partition on the hard drive.

I found this on the Acer site. Once you get in, ( left Alt, and the F10 keys when you see the Acer logo), one of the options is to "Restore Operating System and Retain User Data".

Procedure is here with video:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzcxMjk3MjQ2L3NpZC9LRUVVbU9zbA%3D%3D

Remember, this will restore the original operating system you had when you bought the computer. This program may not be there if you replaced the hard drive.

I hope this helps, look over the instructions carefully.

#14 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid that but guess it's my only option at this point. Thank you for your help. 

#15 sharmaly

sharmaly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

So, I restored it to factory defaults and was able to backup the data, which is good. When restored to factory defaults the graphics card still wasn't showing up right so i downloaded the driver from the website. After that I could at least see the correct model number in the Device Manager. 

Next problem is windows resume not working after hibernate mode. I was hoping that updating the graphics driver would solve that problem based on previous research online. It didn't. I called Acer for assistance and their only solution is for me to ship my computer to them for repair. I guess I will go ahead even though it is irritating to spend that $on shipping for something that never worked right from the beginning.  Acer should at least fix the computer so that if i ever have to restore to factory defaults again someday then the video card will work after doing so.  I will not be buying a computer made by Acer ever again.

Thanks for your assistance.

Edited by sharmaly, 16 June 2013 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users