Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Windows 8 Recovery Disk

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MrBS

MrBS

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

I've just purchased a new Sony Vaio Windows 8 laptop. I've performed the Windows updates, the Vaio updates and I've installed Norton, Firefox browser and Flash player.

BUT, whilst starting to install things, I noticed the Vaio instructions saying that I should create a Recovery Disk after the Windows and Vaio updates.

So, I'm wondering if it is better to create the recovery disks BEFORE installing Norton, Firefox and Flash etc (ie uninstall them create the disks then reinstall after I've created the disks), or is it perfectly ok to create the recovery disks with these 3 things installed?

I realise this might be a real basic question, but just interested if there is much of a difference (I'm holding off installing anything else at the mo just in case).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hi

There are two types of recovery discs you can create.

1 ) Recovery media which can be created using VAIO Care software (as per the message you recieving ) 

If you created a recovery DVD set using the VAIO care software, it won't matter which software you installed. This function simply create a recovery DVD set which restores the factory default condition. That is you will lost all your installed programs once you restore the system using this DVD set. 

2 )  Recovery DVD set creation using built in Windows tool.

Windows 7 and 8 came with a power full image creation tool which can be used to create a recovery image or DVD set . When you create the recovery image using this method, your current system state will be preserved which includes all your installed programs and data on the C partition.

Here is a nice tutorial which explains creating the system recovery image (Check option 2 )

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

This is very use full as you can create a recovery image after installing and activating softwares like MS Office.

I recommend creating images using both methods for safety.

#3 MrBS

MrBS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hi Anshad,

Thanks for the reply, I'll do a Vaio recovery now and then a windows one when I have finished installing the rest of my software.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users