Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Login Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:22 PM

Laptops seem to have it out for me... but anyway heres the problem.
My mom brought an old laptop (Dell Inspiron 5000e, WinXP Pro) home from work that was laying around the office, her boss said they didnt need it and i could have it. So i booted it up and found it was passworded, after trying all the default passwords, and trying to log in as 'administrator' with similar failures, i gave up and told her to ask him what his password was. Well he of course had no idea in hell what the password was, so here i am stuck. Now normally this would be a sinch to boot it in, and either replace or rip out the SAM file from the system32/config folder to get it, but the problem lies in the fact that the laptop refuses to boot from CD or Floppy... i checked the BIOS and the boot priority goes 'Floppy > CDROM > Hard Drive' i even tried reversing the order to no avail. I have tried windows 98, 2000, and xp boot disks, as well as windows 98 and 2000 installation cds. I even tried a Knoppix Linux install cd... nothing will boot. Safe mode has the same passwords as the regular mode, so even that will not work. The only other thing i could think would work was to take the hard drive out and put it in another computer, but this is a laptop... they dont have accessible hard drives so herein lies my delima... what the heck am i supposed to do with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

If nothing will boot from either the cd or the floppy, and the bios is set for it to boot from both, it sounds like the laptop has more problems than just passwords.

There are places on the internet to get password crack info, but I believe the policy of this board is not to help do it. We have no way of knowing who you are or even that the laptop belongs to you, and besides, you would have to have it be able to boot from a cd or floppy to use any of the tools, as far as I know.

#3 FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yeah all those places i found required booting, which is why i was trying to. Any ideas on what could be wrong with the computer if it wont boot from floppy or cd? would be a really strange coincidence if both drives just happened to be broken...

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:31 AM

They may be on the same controller, which might make sense in a laptop.

You might be able to tell by looking in the device manager if you were only able to log on, in fact, it might just be a corrupted driver or drivers which would be an easy fix.

Does this laptop have any way to connect an external cd or floppy drive? You might be able to get that to work on boot - or - take it back to the place your mom got it and see if you can break into it hooking it up to their lan and getting the sys admin to try to log on for you that way (they may be able to change or disable the password for you).

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:32 AM

they dont have accessible hard drives

I think this may be easier than you think. One screw and the hard drive comes out. Instructions HERE (pdf format).

Then purchase a laptop hard drive adaptor HERE for $10 USD and you can plug the hard drive into any desktop.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 April 2006 - 06:34 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Ah thank you albert now were getting somewhere. I got the little guy out but its a different interface than the link you sent me for the converter. It looks like a card slot, like a really small pci slot. In the laptop is a green thing with copper conductors on the side, like what youd see on the bottom of most pci cards. Its a HITACHI model DK23DA-20F, so Ill look online to see if theres any converters for these.

*Ok update on this, it seems the interface is called ATA-5 (Enhanced IDE)

**Well apon further inspection of the hard drive i have concluded to slap myself in the face. It seems that little "slot" thing that was on the end was just something stuck on the end of it, i ripped it off and there the pins are. Now ill try to get one of those converter cables you posted. Thanks alot for the help!

Edited by FunkyMonkey, 15 April 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

I don't know if this is true in your case, but most laptops use adaptors on the hard drives. It is black plastic, then it might just pull off. Give it a try. Pretty much all laptop hard drives are the same just with different adaptors.

EDIT:

**Well apon further inspection of the hard drive i have concluded to slap myself in the face. It seems that little "slot" thing that was on the end was just something stuck on the end of it, i ripped it off and there the pins are. Now ill try to get one of those converter cables you posted. Thanks alot for the help!

You were editing your post at the same time I was writing. Not fair! :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 April 2006 - 12:08 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 12:26 PM

Alright I ordered this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817145752 should be here by friday, hope it works! :thumbsup:

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

The only thing I have seen about enclosures that can potentially be a problem is if you don't have enough power to the USB ports to power it properly. This is common with Dells and other brands with certain mobos.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users