Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice on a Desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

So my friend wanted to have a new Desktop because he got tired of his old netbook. Since he will be working at home (he has lots of online jobs), he will settle for a desktop. he's got zero to minimum knowledge about computers let alone building one so he asked me to build him a desktop. Since I have limited knowledge as well in building desktops from zero, I looked around the internet to try to find already assembled desktop computers. So far here are what I have found:

So although my freind has zero knowledge about building desktop. He does care about brands and he said that he would want an HP or ASUS computer.

He has a budget of $1500. Since he is working online, he will use the PC primarily for web browsing, some multiple excel sheets and word documents open at a time, some video and image editing, probably play some games like NBA2k and FIFA (sports games).

I would be happy to hear from you guys if you have better idea. We are just looking for an already made/built system. I don't have the courage to buy parts one by one and put them all together.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Something to consider: Check with computer shops for a custom build. He should be able to get one for less than $1500.

If you already have speakers, keyboard, monitor, and mouse you'll save money because you don't need those things. Since he is replacing a netbook and may not have any of those things they will be factored into the cost. Find out if they will give a discount on them if you have that shop build the computer.
If not find out the price of those things and then look at other places locally and compare prices. Places generally have these things on sale.

Questions to ask when consulting about your custom build:

Do you have a basic custom build?

Most of them do. Find out what the basic build consists of-OS, hard drive size, how much memory, processor type, motherboard brand.

You likely won't get a sound or graphics card. If you don't want to use on board sound and graphics, you'll pay extra for the cards.
If you want wireless you will need a wireless card or wireless USB adaptor.

What is your warranty? How long is it for, what does it cover?

(mine is 3 years, which covers motherboard, hard drive, fans, and maybe a few other things but I have to take it to the tech every 6 months so they can open the case and clean out the innards)

Will the warranty be voided if you open up the case for anything? They may put a sticker over it and if you open the case, the sticker will break.

Will you get the disk for the motherboard, and an OS disk? You will need these for future use.

Once you find out what the basic build is, you can talk about extras and how much they will cost.

Will there be room in the tower for expansion?

Important if he later decides to add a slave hard drive or sound/graphics cards if he starts out using on board sound/graphics.

If you have a computer tech shop you've dealt with and like, that's the place to start. If not, ask people you know who they use.

Call a few of them or stop by the shop. Actually it would be a good idea to get a few estimates then go to the shop to see if they have a one on display he can look at.

The advantage of a custom build is that it does not come with all the junk that an out-of-the-box system has on it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 June 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

I really try to turn clients away from "all in one" systems.  Proprietary parts and usually very hard to work on, and impossible to internally upgrade (except memory) make them a bad buy. You are essentially buying laptop parts, without the ability to use it as a laptop if the need arises.

$1500 is a budget that opens a lot of options.  For that kind of cash you can go a top of the line Haswell (4770K), a mid high range video card (AMD 7970/NVidia GTX770), quality PSU and case, maybe even a nice 24-27" monitor as well.  $1500 buys a lot.

Like I tell clients that ask me for a custom build, if you are fund limited (generally under $600) and you need a whole system, prebuilt is generally the best option.  It is the most bang for the buck, plus you get a manufacturer's warranty.   Around the $800 mark, it may make sense to go custom.  Just depends on what you need.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

I'm not sure what state your from but MSY and Centrecom offers custom built systems or the guys at PCCaseGear have superb custom built systems.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 aQuilla

aQuilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been around other forums as well and almost everyone suggested that I should just built a custom one. However I have very limited knowledge on building computers so I'm quite hesitant and I also do not have enough time for this. What we need is an instant desktop, ready to use out of the box. I'm considering PCCaseGear now. I have browsed the site and I can say that I could get one awesome build for $1500.

By the way thanks Queen for all of what you've said. Good for future decisions. :)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

Do note that the $1500 system does not include a monitor and keyboard/mouse. So you may need to choose a lower priced system or spend the extra for the peripherals. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 aQuilla

aQuilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

Do note that the $1500 system does not include a monitor and keyboard/mouse. So you may need to choose a lower priced system or spend the extra for the peripherals. 

OK I got it. I'm still talking with my friend and discussing to her the possibilities. :) Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users