Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashing frequently

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 teiresias

teiresias

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hi all; I have a problem I'm hoping you can help me with. Here are the specs for the computer I've had about a year now:

ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

i5 2500k. UEFI auto-OCs it to 4.3; I manually downgraded that to 4.0

MSI GTX 560 Ti 2GB

Windows 7 SP1, installed on a 60GB SSD (OS and progfiles, w/ a separate HDD for storage)

Starting in the past 2 or 3 days, my computer has been crashing frequently (every 30-50 minutes); it starts to lag incrementally, then freezes up completely. I first noticed this happening while gaming, but I also found it happening while simply idling and browsing Firefox as well. Some times it then automatically shuts down (showing the generic Power Fail BSOD) and restarts, whereas other times it will just stay frozen for 20+ minutes until I press the power switch. In either case, when it reboots I get a "Reboot and select proper boot drive" prompt. These two issues have started at exactly the same time, so I imagine they're related. When I go into Event Viewer I see the power fail STOP, which is scenario 3 here.

The other error messages popping up were ones like "ABC service which depends on XYZ service has failed to start for the following reason: A device connected to the system is not functioning". That's a paraphase; I'd have to look them up. I exported my Event Viewer logs like asked in the other recent thread about crashing; as the filesize is too large to attach, I've uploaded it here. I can't look at them atm, but there was also some about drivers failing to load during boot/start-up; that may be the cause for the "Reboot and select" prompt? I can reboot into Windows and look it up, or you can find it in the .evtx I uploaded.

My brother suggested I set up an Ubuntu boot flashdrive; I did that, and have now been running without crash for over 2.5 hours, even though I have been performing the same kind of activities in an attempt to aggravate it and see if it'll crash. This seems to indicate the problem is not hardware, but rather something to do with Windows/OS or the SSD (though I ran chkdsk in read-only mode without anything out of the ordinary showing). Fyi, I clean dust out of my case regularly, and wipe off the fanblades / heatsink, and my CPU/GPU temps are always fine even during heavy load, so that's not the issue either. I have avast! free AV installed, and ran a quick scan, which didn't detect any malware.

I did not perform any updates to OS, drivers, etc. before these crashes/boot error prompts, so I'm not sure what the trigger was. I did update my Nvidia drivers (and one for a Bluetooth device that apparently stopped functioning) to see if that was the issue, but

At any rate, what do you think I could do to solve this? Is there a way to figure out whether it's the OS or SSD, and would wiping the SSD and reinstalling the OS and drivers solve the issue?

Edited by teiresias, 11 June 2013 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users