Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OCR recommend ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi forum,

I'm trying to convert my jpg to doc.  Any free OCR would you recommend ?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmoorecomputertech

dmoorecomputertech

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Below is a link to download Aostsoft OCR Converter and its specs page. The download is a free to try, 3-file conversion trial. Have used it and it works. It's a good short term solution. It's always a good practice to be cautious when downloading from any website, but CNET is traditionally a reputable company/website.

Download:

http://download.cnet.com/Aostsoft-JPEG-JPG-to-DOC-OCR-Converter/3000-12511_4-75680564.html

Specs page:

http://download.cnet.com/Aostsoft-JPEG-JPG-to-DOC-OCR-Converter/3010-12511_4-75680564.html?tag=contentBody;sideBar

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:09 PM

<snip> but CNET is traditionally a reputable company/website.

I would go so far as to say that's highly debatable, and others have had less than pleasant experiences. Just one topic of several I know of regarding that website's downloads: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497656/just-a-gripe-about-sites-that-supply-junk-to-accompany-softward-download/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 dmoorecomputertech

dmoorecomputertech

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Do you have any alternative recommendations...certain websites or do you go straight to the source? I personally haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I am open to any alternatives/suggestions.

#5 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I know this topic is somewhat outdated, but I would recommend simply getting Adobe Acrobat if you can. I don't know prices, but even the older versions will work for what you need.  I have Acrobat 9. You can run OCR with Acrobat.  Once text is recognized, it will read the text, you can edit or simply copy/paste the text into Word. Beware of copy/paste once OCR recognized and check carefully for formatting issues because it will not always paste correctly but is still a huge time saver. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users