Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Manually Copy Startup Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

Like amdkmafd.sys? That's where my system hangs and I think my HD is starting to corrupt out. or is there an outside installer that works? Or a way to manually overwrite the file? I have Precise Puppy.

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

You can manually copy any file that doesn't fall under DRM.

When you replace a system file, you are doing so with a copy (hopefully from the Windows install disk) or from a stored location on the system.

Since, if legit, it's an AMD driver that can be downloaded from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx per http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=amdkmpfd.sys , I would just download it, rather than copy it.

Louis

#3 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks hamluis, My system is in the "endless startup loop" so I would need to figure out how to break the cycle and copy the file or use the driver installer before boot up. I think if I reinstalled windows it would wipe my data from my previous install.

Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well...before pursuing a course of action, I like to understand what the cause might be.

Reboot loops can be caused by various things...what were you doing that led to your reboot problem?  Please be detailed and honest.

Louis

#5 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

Oh, my Acer Aspire 5742 is 3+ years old and it has bluescreened me a couple of times on startup, but when I get in I go to DOS and reinstall the startup routines since they may be being overwritten over unstable sectors in that particular partition that windows has created. Using the bootsector commands for rewriting the startup files and boot reset commands.

I get an mountable_boot_volume error. But I can access my files through Puppy. So I think it's more of getting Win 7 to recognize the startup files. Or manually bring up a  'hidden' restore volume from somewhere in the system. If I boot into safe mode, my startup listing starts executing files until it gets down to "rdyboost.sys" where it thinks for a few seconds then goes on down until I get to "amdkmsfd.sys" where I get the hang.

I can't get to repair options as I get the system hang on every advaned option and I have tried the repair disk, Original Disk and a flash drive that boots my original Win 7 through the USB which is faster and one time I got through to the set up page, but mostly, I get hung up on the way to anywhere.

I can get in and replace the file, but with linux I have to know where the file is as I don't understand where to look for these types of files within windows.

Mike

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well...unmountable boot volume errors...can be various things.

Could be a problem with boot files...could be a problen with the file system/partition structure...could be a basic hard drive problem.

If it's the easy-to-solve alternative, running the chkdsk /r command has been known to overcome it.

More options for trying to overcome:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2605/fixing_the_dreaded_unmountable_boot_volume_error/

http://blog.shimmertechno.com/windows-help/windows7-unmountable-boot/

Louis

#7 OCD_Computer_Guy

OCD_Computer_Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

How can you perform a check disk if you can't access DOS?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,576 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

Not suggesting it...just pointing out pertinent data re unmountable boot volume errors.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users