Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alt and Ctrl keys constantly toggling, screen constantly flipping

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 canadadan7

canadadan7

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hi there, my dad's laptop, an Acer Aspire 7763z-4809 running Windows 7, has one of the most bizzare problems I have ever seen.

He described the problem to me as the screen constantly flipping around and changing orientation all by itself. By pressing the arrow keys you can also flip it manually... sometimes.

I turned on the on-screen keyboard to find out that Ctrl and Alt are constantly being held or toggled. Alt and Ctrl can sometimes be temporarily disabled by just pressing those keys, but they will just toggle on (pressed) again, or flicker between being pressed and not pressed. On top of that, whatever is going on seems to really like flipping the screen upsidedown, or just flip it in random directions (but usually upsidedown). I guess it is doing this with the ctrl+alt+arrowkey hotkey combination (which I didn't think was enabled...). And on top of this, it seems to be pressing right click a lot (or some equivalent), because context menus often come up.

Bizzare, right? The laptop is extremely hard to navigate, because it has a mind of its own. Between the screen flipping, ctrl and alt being toggled at random, and context menus going haywire, it's a complete mess.

It seemed to be lacking a virus program, so I was able to very awkwardly get Microsoft Security Essentials installed (just typing "MSE" into google was hard, let alone installing the software) and I ran a scan. Problem persists.

Please, run me through some things I can do but keep in mind that the computer is very hard to simply navigate and typing is a pain. Possible, just frustrating and incredibly hard. Maybe a quick workaround just to be able get this solved would be to disable the keyboard or disable control and alt - is that possible?

Thank you!

-Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Computer Hope has listed a few ideas on this problem. May be worth a quick look -

Flipped monitor display in Windows

Tell us if this helps or not -

Regards -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

I'd say...that the keyboard probably needs a good cleaning...or replacement...if the key functions are askew.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users