Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If you save a file on a OS than change to newer OS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Korin

Korin

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

So if I save a file to a flash drive and then buy a new OS/PC will the flash drive work  ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Ofcourse

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

A file...is only a file.  Its properties are determined/manifested by the file extension indicating the file type.  It matters not what type of media it is stored on.

A program is a bundle of files put together to perform various actions.  In order for a program to have any value, it must be installed on the O/S which is trying to use it.  For example...a boot disk using Linux...reflects a tiny O/S and various program files which perform specific functions.  In Windows...for a program to function, it must be installed in that particular Windows O/S, it cannot be run from a different O/S.

Data files (such as videos, documents, etc...have no value at all unless an appropriate program is able to access the files.  A video cannot play without a program which plays videos...a picture cannot be seen/editid, etc. without a given program to do such...and so on.

Based on the info you have provided thus far...that's all that I can tell you, since you haven't indicated what type of file you are asking about.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#4 Korin

Korin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Text Document.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

As long as there is a text document reader within the new OS should be no problems. With the assumption that the text file itself is not corrupted.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Korin

Korin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

what is text document reader?

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Notepad, WordPad, Word, Notepad++, Editpad Lite. The word processing applications in the freeware suites of Libre Office or Open Office. Lots of options for a document reader. I'm sure I missed a few, but those were the ones off the top of my head.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users