Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get a Windows 7 PC to recognize a Windows XP workgroup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sparkles327

sparkles327

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

I just set up a simple workgroup on my central business computer so that I could create a shared folder (which is an external hard drive on the central computer).

The central computer is running XP.  My computer is running Windows 7.  Everything was workng beautifully for the first two weeks - the shared folder was shared between all computers (2 XP units and my Windows 7).  However, one morning, I could no longer see the shared folder or any of the network computers from my Windows 7 unit.

How do I get my computer to find this network / "workgroup" again?  I have already tried naming the groups the same thing and changing the encryption types (per another forum's suggestion), but nothing has worked.

I really appreciate any suggestions and guidance you may offer.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi,

Have you tried "system restore" or "last known good configuration" ? If you have and still are having problems this may help:

http://www.7tutorials.com/sharing-between-windows-xp-and-windows-7-computers

Edited by sikntired, 11 June 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#3 sparkles327

sparkles327
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hello,

I have tried system restore, but the oldest restore point is after the shared workgroup disappeared.

Thinking it may be firewall related, I have tried disabling the firewall with not luck.  (I am using Comodo)

I went through several different tutorials and this is where everything stands:

• The workgroup names are the same.
  • All of my Win 7 network settings are set to 'share', 'on' etc.
  • The XP's Computer Browser service is set to automatic
  • The XP is sharing the external HD
  • My computer is visible from the XP's network computers list

I still cannot see the XP computer.

What more can I do to diagnosis the problem? 

Thanks!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

This appears to be a known issue between 7 and XP, based on the number of people reporting it to various Microsoft forums.

The suggested fix is to make sure Network Discovery is on for the XP machine. Go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center, click Change advanced sharing settings and enable the option. You might also want to check that Network Discovery is turned on for the 7 PC, and perhaps run some network diagnostics on it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/windows-7-cannot-access-a-xp-pc-on-same-workgroup/bff5116c-a643-4092-9fb7-9358cb15c104

Another suggested fix is by determining the IP address of the PC with the shared hard drive, and access it via \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(IP adresss)\sharename.

Are you sure it's not an administrative share? You might want to try adding a dollar sign $ to the end of the sharename and search for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users