Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Your Favorite Antivirus? State Why

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Don't give a stupid moronic answer like: "I have used AVG antivirus for 3 years I have never gotten an virus."
Just because your antivirus says that you do not have a virus, that does not mean you do not have one.

Edited by IHateAbnormalities, 14 April 2006 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hi :thumbsup:

I use NOD32, like it a lot.

* It's very light (memory-usage) in comparison with other anti-virus program. This is also important for me 'cause I only have 256MB RAM (notebook).
* It has many options and functions, and you can configure it totally as you want/wish, it's also clear and userfriendly
* In my case, it detected malware that wasn't discovered by (many) other anti virus scans (former antivirus and different online scans (yes it was present, no false positive or so)
* It "cleans" where some other anti-virus application would remove an infected file (f.e. a legitimite file that was injected with a virus) because they couldn't "clean" it.
* It's very fast with virus definitions updates and detection of very new viruses
* I just like it .. the use, the interface, the whole thing... It's personal, as any opinion :inlove:

AND ... I use it for over a year and didn't get a virus since then :flowers:
it always warns me when there is danger (not only viruses but also other malware)
Regulary check it by using online scans, testing anti rootkit and other malware removal tools/applications checking my HJTlog, .. so not only because NOD32 itself claims there are no viruses :cool:

I feel safe with it, haven't got any sudden weird "program failures", or suddenly enabled guards, or files that shouldn't be detected as malicious or even removed, or updateproblems, or ... , which did happen with some of my previous antivirus programs (Norman, Norton) or even with online scans (McAfee)

Don't give a stupid moronic answer

You could have put that nicer :trumpet:

Edited by *Desdinova*, 16 April 2006 - 08:39 PM.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

I used AVG quite happily until I made a booboo and then couldn't uninstall ar reinstall it, so I went for AVAST and have been very pleased with it.

I love the way it 'talks' to me when it has auto-updated. Any nasties trying to get into my system cause a siren and vocal warning to go off, together with a 1click suggested fix.

I have found that it does a great job, and of course it is a FREEBIE. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

ya I heard that avast and nod32 are very good antiviruses. i don't think AVG is any good though. it has slow scan speed, lower detection rate than other antiviruses and an ugly skin. I personally prefer Avira Antivir Personal Edition Classic. It updates a lot, has the highest detection rate of all freebie antiviruses, and has recently aquired quite a good look because of the new version. it is also not heavy on resources

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

I switched to AVG Free Edition in '03. I had MacAfee and it was one continuios head ache. Could not use the email scanner because it would lock up my system. I have 14 months left of a 24 month subscription. I never looked back. Before MacAfee I had also tried PC-Cillan and Norton. I did not like either one. That was several life times ago for computer software, and to be fair they may have gotten better. Now I use AVG and do not plan to switch anytime in the forseeable future.

Oh and I really have not had a virus in three years.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:38 AM

Don't give a stupid moronic answer like: "I have used AVG antivirus for 3 years I have never gotten an virus."
Just because your antivirus says that you do not have a virus, that does not mean you do not have one.

Ive been using AVG for a short while and i dont have any probs yet.
It says i dont have an Antivirus.
Im happy with it, it was recommended here on BC.

#7 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

Well acklan ur a computer expert so it is expected of you to not get a virus

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:35 PM

I used AVG for a year, and found it to be good. But, I had a few issues with it not wanting to run automatic updates - that eventually worked itself out - but I decided to try another free alternative. Right now, I am using AntiVir Personal Edition. It seems to work quite well, and I really haven't had any issues with it so far. Personally, I try not to get stuck on any one product. If I run into problems with AntiVir, I will probably try Avast next.
JC

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:42 PM

Actually I am a 46 year old high school drop out who happens to be a fire fighter. I just establish and maintained several good rules...

1) 4 layers of protected security.

Router - w/ NAT
Firewall - Software
Antivirus - AVG
Antispyware - SyGate

2) NEVER accept attachments for any reason.

3) NEVER install software that I have not reseached. That means no impulse installs

4) NEVER Download except from trusted sites. That means no P2P.

5) At the end of every session on the internet leave my computer on over night to allow antivirus and antispyware to update and scan.

For me it is simple. Up to date protection and a proactive approach to security. With a site like Bleeping Computer there is no reason that anyone should ever become infected. But I have be known to be wrong.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users