Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

advice on ac jack repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mutinyhecried

mutinyhecried

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

I have a laptop with a bad ac jack, i used to be able to wiggle it around to get a connection, now it does nothing. the laptop is about 2 years old and out of warranty. i've called a few local repair places and gotten differing quotes but the last guy said he had over 10 years experience and would not do it and recommends i send it back to the manufacturer, which will cost $249 plus shipping. Should I really not trust a store with this type of repair?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have done simple repairs like this, a fair price from an electronics shop would be something like... 50-75 bucks, the parts (depending on the laptop model) will run about 15-30 and then it will take about an hours worth of work (give or take)

I would be very surprised if you cannot find anyone to do it for you, try at a local flea market, there are sometimes a lot of talented repair people at places like that.

#3 mutinyhecried

mutinyhecried
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've found people who said they would do it, the cheapest price I got so far was $85, most just give me an hourly rate (usually around $120) and say they can't say how long it will take until they do it. One guy said he'd have to run a $60 diagnostic test on it first but the best part was when he said he doesn't have a store anymore, just does it on the side and i'd have to meet him somewhere to give it to him. I already ordered the part, found a brand new one for $8 with free shipping. I just got a little worried after what that last guy said about how he wouldn't let anyone but the manufacturer do that. Thanks for the tip about the flea markets, that's a great idea.

Edited by mutinyhecried, 11 June 2013 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users