Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Create New Folder In Documents

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stillanovice

stillanovice

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hello!

Suddenly, I am unable to create new folders in My Documents.  I click the button, but nothing happens.  Can someone tell me how to fix this?  Thank you in advance for any and all help! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElliotBath

ElliotBath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi!

Can you give the full filepath that you're trying to create a folder in?

I.E. C:\Users\Public\Documents

If you right-click an empty space in the window, there is an option to create a folder from the 'New' option - can you try that?

#3 barticle

barticle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I find suddenly I am unable to create a new folder anywhere, not on the desktop or anyplace in Windows Explorer. If I click on "New Folder" nothing happens. If I right click in a folder and then click on "new" there is no option to create a folder. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

This is a known and ongoing issue with Windows 7. Did you recently install any Windows updates, or a new antivirus program? That seems to be the trigger in most cases. There is a fairly complicated set of fixes available: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/97de8a2a-12f2-4381-a409-a78f4ae551cf

#5 stillanovice

stillanovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Last month, I posted about having the inksdata virus (or whatever).  Member "Gringo" helped me with that, and many steps and downloaded programs later, the laptop was back to normal.  About halfway through the process is when I noticed the problem with creating a new folder in documents. 

I clicked on the link provided in your most recent post above and skimmed the directions.  Should I follow what she posted for the prior questioner?

Thank you.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

If you feel comfortable running scripts like that, yes. That's why I posted the link. If you aren't comfortable with it, however, your only other real option is to back up your user files and data and reinstall the operating system from scratch.

As you may have noticed from the script, there are a number of registry keys that have changed or become corrupt and the script goes about fixing them. Normally, messing with the registry is not something that is recommended. However, in certain near-catastrophic cases like this one, sometimes it is the only option short of a complete reinstallation. It's really up to you how you want to proceed.

Hope that helps. Wish the news was better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users