Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing from Mountain Lion (10.8) to Ricoh Aficio MP C2051

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hello,

The title says it all! I have tried everything I can think of but I am not sure where to go next. Here is the basic info:
  • verified ping and web browser access to Ricoh's IP address
  • setup printer over IP with the Ricoh PPD from Ricoh support
    note: this was a PS driver, and when used, the device sees the job but rejects it with a generic "print data error" in the copier logs
  • setup printer over IP with the Generic PCL driver included in the OS
    note: exciting at first, printing worked with the test page but later we noticed PDF files do not print. In the preview and on the printer it seems like the "image" of the page is lost. I think this has something to do with the way the PDF was created but I need to look at it again to confirm
  • setup printer over IP with the PXLMono PPD for the Ricoh Aficio MP C2051 from the Linux Foundation
    note: several forums show good luck with this driver, but it would not print at all in this case, the job would get stuck in the queue
  • tried Advanced configurations, switching between LPR / IPP / JetDirect, LPR was the only protocol that appeared to work, the other two failed immediately
  • tried modifying user codes, not enabled on copier but was in the past, still unable to print
  • noted that copier logs show the user name all together, for example, User Name comes up as UserName, but other Windows clients pass their user name with a space
    note: I thought I had something here, so I created an entry in the copier address book to match the name since they call it a "user name" field as well. no luck :(
I will be on-site with this user in 2-3 hours and can post more information / details - can anybody tell me where to look next? Or anything else to try? Very interested in getting this figured out!

Best Regards,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

• setup printer over IP with the Generic PCL driver included in the OS
    note: exciting at first, printing worked with the test page but later we noticed PDF files do not print. In the preview and on the printer it seems like the "image" of the page is lost. I think this has something to do with the way the PDF was created but I need to look at it again to confirm

With this method, try messing with the "scale" setting in the print dialog box. Had a similar issue with a Konica Minolta copier/printer where when I scaled down the "image" just a hair, it would print fine. So, it might help you as well.

The other thing to try is printing the PDFs from Acrobat...I assume you are using Apple's built-in PDF program Preview...if my assumption is wrong and you are using Acrobat, then try using Preview.

#3 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Topic Starter

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi smax013,

Thank you for that response.  I am physically on the Mac now and the issue gets more interesting!  I had the copier added at the same IP with the PS and PXL drivers, so I added a third copy with the Generic PCL so I could some more testing and post more details.

Except that now the Generic PCL printer appears to be working perfectly.  You were correct I am using the default PDF viewer in OSX, I had not considered that, however unless it stops working I think we will try to avoid Adobe Reader on this machine unless there is another reason to have it.  So far I've printed a PDF, Word doc, and web page - I am a little baffled but maybe it just needed a restart!

I am going to run some more tests with the user when they get here, and we will try those suggestions if needed, thank you again!

Best Regards,

whoabuddy

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Except that now the Generic PCL printer appears to be working perfectly.  You were correct I am using the default PDF viewer in OSX, I had not considered that, however unless it stops working I think we will try to avoid Adobe Reader on this machine unless there is another reason to have it.  So far I've printed a PDF, Word doc, and web page - I am a little baffled but maybe it just needed a restart!

When in doubt, reboot! ;)

I definitely agree that it is better to use Preview rather than Acrobat Reader (or even the full Acrobat). Even if you ignore the security issues associated with Acrobat, I have found the Mac version of Acrobat to be slower than dirt. I regularly use Preview instead...the one exception is that I have a copy-protected PDF file that requires Acrobat (Grrrrrr!).

Regardless, the reason for trying Acrobat is that I believe it uses it own print engine on top of the printer driver. So, if it is a problem with a PDF file that somehow "trips up" Preview, then it might work in Acrobat.

Hopefully it will keep working fine!

#5 bennettsjb

bennettsjb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

does the printer have a post script kit?

#6 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Topic Starter

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

When in doubt, reboot! ;)

Agreed!

I definitely agree that it is better to use Preview rather than Acrobat Reader (or even the full Acrobat). Even if you ignore the security issues associated with Acrobat, I have found the Mac version of Acrobat to be slower than dirt. I regularly use Preview instead...the one exception is that I have a copy-protected PDF file that requires Acrobat (Grrrrrr!).

I know I have seen it both ways but it's good to know the built-in software works well.

Regardless, the reason for trying Acrobat is that I believe it uses it own print engine on top of the printer driver. So, if it is a problem with a PDF file that somehow "trips up" Preview, then it might work in Acrobat.

This is an excellent troubleshooting step along with the scale of the page you mentioned earlier, I am going to keep both in mind!

Hopefully it will keep working fine!

My fingers are crossed but if not at least we have some new things to try :busy:

does the printer have a post script kit?

No, that was something I discovered trying to get this all set up, and what led me to the PXL drivers as an alternative.

Best Regards,
whoabuddy
Proud member of UNITE

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I know I have seen it both ways but it's good to know the built-in software works well.

Just so you know, Apple's Preview is a fully function PDF reader AND editor. You can add annotations, etc with Preview. You can do most of what the several hundred dollar "full" Acrobat can do...all for free.

Here is a Macworld article that outlines some of those features of Preview:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2010521/the-hidden-powers-of-mountain-lions-preview.html

#8 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Topic Starter

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

That's awesome, thank you! I did not know it had those features and will keep it in mind to teach others :) One of these days I will get an OSX VM running so I can really play around!
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users